Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,370   Online: 811

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Images
    I thought this was asked before on this board, but am having trouble finding the thread... I am going to attempt my first crack at 4X5 contact printing on AZO. What other developers work well with this paper? I'd like to be able to buy it locally and in small volumes. I currently have Edwal Ultra Black and Ilford PQ Universal in my darkroom.

Thanks,
    Brian
    hi!

Hi Brian,

When I first got my Azo, I was waiting on the delivery of Amidol, and, as usual, had no patience to wait it out. I had often read that Agfa Neutol WA was an alternative to Amidol, so I pick up a bottle. It was certainly more economical than Amidol, but that is where the advantages over Amidol came to a screeching halt. It was only after receiving my Amidol and making the first prints that I was able to see how clearly superior Amidol (either the Michael Smith or the Peckhams Amidol/Catchetol) really is. I only wish I was able to get back the 30 or 40 sheets of Azo that I literally wasted by using the Agfa developer.

Are there other developers out there that can be used with Azo? Probably. Are they going to get the most out of the paper the way Amidol does? Probably not.
    - William Levitt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Although advice is generally worth about what you pay for it, here's a bargain for you. Taking heed of this will save you much wringing of hands and gnashing of teeth. Ready?

There is no substitute for amidol.

None. Just forget it. Order some amidol right now and don't waste a single precious sheet of Azo trying to find a substitute. All of us Smith/Chamlee groupies have been there, done that and wish that we hadn't. Next to the use of Azo itself, amidol makes more of a difference than anything else you can do.

Jim

I usually don't favor absolute endorsements, but I have tried Azo with Dektol and Ansco 130 and neither one gave me the quality that I get with amidol developers. I think it takes a really powerful developer to get the best gradation out of Azo, and there just isn't anything more powerful than amidol. Michael Smith encourages people to increase their exposure times and reduce development to only a minute with his formula.

Images
    I wasn't able to find info on Michaels Amidol on the website. Anyone have a link to info on purchasing some?
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try www.artcraftchemicals.com

They are fast and the cheapest source as best I can tell.

Clay
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Images
    Thanks for the link Clay. I'll order some this evening.

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thats one of them, this is another
    http://www.colba.net/~fotochem/index.htm
    This guys in Canada, has some pretty good deals on Ebay regularly.
    Gary Beasley

You can find information on Azo and Amidol at www.michaelandpaula.com. Look under "Azo." Our formulas are there as are links to suppliers, including Artcraft Chemicals, Inc., the best supplier of photography chemicals. You might also want to drop into the Azo Forum. Between the articles about this that I and N. Dhananjay have written, and which are on our web site, and the Azo Forum, I can't imagine there is anything about this that is left that you would need to know. On the technical side, at least.

Michael A. Smith

Images
    Thanks!
    hi!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin