Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 782

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good summary Jorge. I think we will want to include any and all from anywhere. I had one other suggestion.

How about every person include two identical prints when the portfolio gets to them and then the next person in line keeps one of those prints and in turn includes two prints.

Example: I am the first person on the list. I mail the container to Brian with two of my prints. Brian keeps one and inludes two of his own. He mails to Jorge. Jorge keeps one of Brian's and includes two of his own. Next person keeps one of Jorge's prints and has the prints by Brian and me to view. He sends two prints to the next person who keeps one etc.
    At the end of the cycle of 20 people, everyone has been able to view all the prints and have one to keep. The next time around you start with someone different so when the keeper comes around they will be from a different photographer.

This only means one extra print in the portfolio, but everyone exchanges a print with someone else, as well as viewing the work of those woh preceeded.

The only other question I think we need to finalize, is everyone going to send a print to one person first? This way everyone can see all the work at once and the first person would include two prints to get the exchange part rolling or,

Do we just begin with one person and build the portfolio overtime and after the first run through everyone will pull their "old" print and then include two new ones as it gets to them. This way the first person actually becomes the last because he is the final person to see the original portfolio before prints are switched out.

Sorry if this is somewhat rambling, I am short on time right now. Please add comments or critique of the above ideas.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think logistically it will be easier to start with one person and build it slowly. That means the first time around the first few people won't see many prints, but they'll get to see the whole round when it comes back to them.

If we were to try to have a complete portfolio from the beginning, that adds the complication of everyone having to send in a print by a certain deadline, and if one or two people were too slow, it would delay the whole process, and then the originator would have to worry about returning all the prints at the end and assembling all the new ones.

With the revolving portfolio system, where you just add a print when it comes around and remove your old one, you avoid all the problems of collecting and returning.

As to the idea of incorporating a permanent exchange with the revolving portfolio, I like the idea in theory, but there is the issue that we might have participants of widely varying levels--some of whom may be amateurs interested in critique and some of whom may be working artists who can normally sell their prints for high prices through galleries--and this may create some awkwardness that could discourage participation. Perhaps it would be best to organize this sort of exchange in parallel, privately or through a discussion forum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with David, I would love to be able to give a print to all the members, but pt/pd is not cheap, I cannot afford to include an extra print every time the portfolio comes around.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Okay, Brian and I are working on this. I'm looking at portfolio cases, and Brian will open a new thread with the call for participation.
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I know I am getting to this late but the print exchange I was in did it this way. There was an address list that was published and if there were 10 people on the list you make 9 prints and at some predetermined date the 9 prints get mailed to the addresses on the list and then everyone is covered and can keep the prints to do with as they please within the laws of copyright law. At some future date then the list can talk about the photos they received. Sort of a critque.

Any interest in doing it that way????

lee

Images
    Lets see how the revolving portfolio works for starters.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Lee, that could work for certain kinds of groups, but depending on the participants, an exchange system might raise the problems discussed a few responses up. Some people are working in more costly media and couldn't necessarily afford to make nine prints each round, and some people who exhibit regularly in galleries might not be so eager to trade prints in this manner.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have not run this by Sean yet, but if a permanent print exchange is desired by members I guess we could set up a "print exchange" gallery. In it, those who wish to exchange prints can post them and the members can view them and respond to the posting member. This way members can see the subject matter as well as the skill degree of the posting member, as well as each participant can judge if he wants to exchange or not. I think this would be about the best possible way to set up an exchange where people exchanging would be of comparable skills.

Shooter
    Large Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jdef @ Dec 21 2002, 11:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>If I want to exchange my prints for those of comparable quality I can go to the high school&#33; The thought of comparing my printing skills to yours (Jorge) is enough to put me off the whole idea. My intention is to send a print to those I&#39;d like to exchange with, no strings/expectations/obligations attached, and if that person feels like sending me a print, I will gratefully accept, with no illusions of parity on my part. I will understand completely if no print is offered in return, and will take no offense. I am overwhelmed with work right now, and awaiting delivery of my first box of Azo, but when it arrives along with the Amidol, I will make a print for Jorge, even though I know I have many, many prints to make before I approach his level of skill. Being a beginner, it&#39;s easy for me to disregard others&#39; skill levels compared to mine, and I understand that the reverse is not necessarily true. The fact is that there are not enough of you to worry about from an expense point of view, even if I made prints for all of you, and If I recieved a single print in return, I&#39;d be well rewarded. I realize that this is not a model many would adopt, but it satisfies my aspirations. I look forward to participating in the revolving portfolio as well.-jdf</td></tr></table><span id='postcolor'>
    No, no, no, Jay I think you misunderstand me. For example you might post a portrait that I like ( and judging from your examples at PN you have some very nice ones) if so I would not mind exchanging with you. My whole point is, the posting in a gallery will give people a chance to make at least an initial judgement and decide to exchange a print with such person. Being able to see the print would be an advantage and would put aside the "skill" factor. I mean if I liked your print then who cares if it is your first print ever, no? Of course if I see a print with no contrast, or dust, or of aunt Mary, then I might not want to exchange with this person. OTOH if the print is more or less well scanned (oh boy I am completely ignorant about how to do this&#33 and shows a nice image, why would I think your "skill" level is below mine? As far as I am concerned the results are what matter.....not how many years you have spent under a light bulb.

Also this idea I have it is so that those who place a certain importance in the provenance of a print would also have the opportunity to participate. Lets face it not everybody thinks like you or me, some people might want to exchange only azo prints, ot pt prints, this way they also have a chance without looking like jerks for refusing someone. For instance I might post a 12x20 pt print, and specify I want a comparable size contact print. This way those who wish to exchange 3x5 shoots of fido will know I am not the one to contact. Sounds good?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think you are selling yourself short, Jay. So instead of focusing (pun intended) on the "skill" issue why not forget about it and post a few images if we set up the gallery. I think you will be surprised.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin