Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,724   Online: 890

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

DKT

I know what you're talking about...I worked briefly as an assistant in a furniture studio in High Point NC (where some studios still shoot 8x10 and up for catalog work)--they owned their own lab they printed the catalogs out as color contacts on longroll printers....they had lamps that moved around to vary the intensity etc. I never paid that much attention to who actually made those printers, but I think Stoufer is about the only manufacturer left who makes contact printers. Otherwise, I have used an Arkay that had about 20 some odd lamps, all switched & filters on a roll as well as movable diffusion glass.FWIW, I have an 8x10 Burke & James Rexo that uses 9 lamps, and has two glass diffusion panels that are movable. One is frosted, the other sorta like opal glass. Then there's the glass that you lay the neg on. It has 4 movable cropping blades and a hinged platen that is switched to the safelight lamp and the whitelights as well. They're not dimmer controlled, but you can lay in sheets of acetate etc to do some dodging--or to cut back on certain areas, and you can switch each lamp on or off too. I doubled up on the thickness of the glass, and have used this mostly with the b&w duplicating film SO-132 to make contact dupes of old negatives. SO-132 has the speed of Azo, and my exposures are around 10 seconds or less with this printer. I used to print 5x7s on it using Oriental Portrait, both RC and fiber. Portrait was a slooow paper and worked great this way, but I have used Multigrade IV on it and spread out filters under the glass too...fwiw, I run it off a voltage stabilizer. I paid about $25 for it and found it in the storage room of a local store...I work next door to the state archives & they had one of these same printers for years--they surplused it. So...check your surplus lots perhaps...otherwise the Stoufer printers cost quite a bit, as a commercial lab machine. There are some photofinishing resellers, like RK Equipment (think that's right?) who may have these things used--another type of thing would be a longroll printer that worked like a 1:1 enlarger, or some sort of set size printer. I have an old Kodak lab manual someplace though, that covers contact printing, and stripping in titles etc.--it's about 1940s era, and the printers are these huge , monstrous devices with bakelite dials and platens like drymount presses....

Hope this helps--KT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Aggie @ Apr 22 2003, 09:03 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>another student used the pop paper and I did the azo thing. We compared the results. No comparison. Azo is the best paper I have seen. I just hate to enlarge the negatives where I use the darkroom now.</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Comparing Azo and POP is like comparing green apples with red apples. They are so different in their characteristics, if you like one, you are unlikely to like the other. I much prefer POP.

To each their own.

Kerik

ps Their are some POP prints on my website, but the scans are only a gross approximation...

http://www.kerik.com
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Images
    Chuck did you ever find your contact printer? I am toying with making a 16X20 one myself. Not sure how important the up and down adjustment would be if you have dimmers on all bulbs. The contact printer they have at the junior college lab I frequent has 7 white and one red bulb in it. it is for 8x10.

Brian
    hi!

Hi Brian,

Think of it as a set of studio lights. You can move lights in and out or reduce/increase power. Same concept. I&#39;d be willing to teach the technique to anyone that would be interested. This is the very best way to create those 8/10 that will sanp and dance before your eyes. Blacks are black and whites are white. It&#39;s a very easy technique for the zone system. In fact you can zone areas of your image. Now, that&#39;s refinement.

I wonder if anyone has plans for an 8/10? Can I put my order in?

Let me know

Thanks
    Chuck

Images
    Chuck, I found one. Picked it up this morning. It was free I can send you photos if you are interested in seeing how everything is put together.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Someone out Calif way posted a "give away" on two of the 8X10 size printers at Photo.net earlier today.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Images
    He sure did
    hi!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    www.doncameron.com

Don has a posting on that other forum and says that he has a couple of these printers that he is giving away. These things are great for making many, many contact prints that are exactly alike. But they are a little overkill if you are just making a few prints from each negative.
    huh?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    I'm a real slow reader and didn't quite get to the end there, sorry.
    huh?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin