Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 909

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sorry, Ole, the Bergger "contact printing paper" is not a contact printing paper at all, although they sell it as that. Contact printing papers are silver chloride papers. The Bergger paper is not a silver chloride paper. It has silver iodide in it--the same thing film has. I have seen a fine print on it, once, and it may be a half decent paper. The older contact prints from Weston, Adams, others, were always on silver chloride paper. The only silver chloride paper remaining in production is Azo. I wish it were otherwise, but it is not.

Michael A. Smith

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    To my knowledge (which may be faulty), "Contact Paper" means that it is intended for contact printing. There is no implication of the chemistry in the phrase. That Bergger's Contact paper contains Iodide is irrelevant to me - if it gives good results. If I insisted on using a pure AgCl paper, I would make my own Albumen paper...

But what I asked was not so much about the paper as about the developer. There is a wealth of information about Azo out there, it is probably the most written-about single silver-process paper in the world. If the question I asked had been the one Michael answered, I wouldn't have asked it but instead read it off his webpage.

So: Anyone have any experience with Bergger Contact G2 in Amidol?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Yes, Ole, I printed the Bergger "contact" printing paper with Amidol. The results were worse than disappointing. The prints were dull and muddy, no matter how contrasty a negative was used. I was hoping it would be otherwise.

Maybe my Amidol formula wasn't the right one. Maybe I did not develop the paper long enough. Whatever the reason, the paper just did not yield results where even one print could leave the darkroom. Maybe someone else had better success.

Michael A. Smith

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thank you, Michael!
    Now that is information I can use... A starting point for experiments

Fortunately, I rather like experimenting - maybe I'll try one of my "bulletproof" monobath-developed negatives first?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would try spiking the your amidol with some bz(benzotirazole), 30 or 60 ml of 1%. Enlarging paper with Weston or Michael's amidol without bz look pretty aweful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin