Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,909   Posts: 1,556,175   Online: 1025

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sounds to me like you are having paper fog from something...either the safelight or the exposing lamp. I had this happen with MAS Amidol formula when I developed the paper for a longer than normal period (cold darkroom temps)...this was with graded Adox and a Zone VI safelight on high (graded paper)setting.

I finally decided it was the combination of the time in developer in conjunction with the higher safelight exposure. I cut the safelight intensity and came back down on my development time and the problem was eliminated. Higher ambient or developer temperatures would tend to exacerbate the problem, I would think.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't realize that fogging in such a manner would effect the color of the paper... very interesting. Thanks for the info, Donald.

Rootberry, for reference (since we're using the same materials) my safe light is a small bulb in a reflector with a thick red/plexi gel over it. My darkroom is small and always warm. My development times with PF130 are between 50 and 65 seconds depending on the negative and age of the developer. Best. Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Shawn, that is exactly how I would describe my darkroom. I use a very small safelight, use the same development times, and have mild darkroom temps. I know that you mostly contact print Shawn, but do you use an enlarger as your light source?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use an enlarger for the light source. I raise the head to be 24 inches above the printing frame then vary the lens aperture to keep the exposure times in the 30-45 second range or so. Never has any discernible problems with this method.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If only I could afford more than a lightbulb hanging from the ceiling! =(

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rootberry View Post
    If only I could afford more than a lightbulb hanging from the ceiling! =(
    Nothing wrong with that. The only real reason I use the enlarger is because I'm too lazy to move it out of the room.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you aren't in need of it any longer, I would certainly take it off your hands for you Is it wrong to want to own a 12x20 and enlarge 6x6 ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If you aren't in need of it any longer, I would certainly take it off your hands for you Is it wrong to want to own a 12x20 and enlarge 6x6 ?
    Nahhh, don't think so. I still use it for the occasional enlargement.
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh well, worth a try! I had a saunders LPL 4500II lined up for a good price, but then the seller decided to back out on me.. Stuff happens I guess.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shawn, that is exactly how I would describe my darkroom. I use a very small safelight, use the same development times, and have mild darkroom temps. I know that you mostly contact print Shawn, but do you use an enlarger as your light source?
    I use a 15 watt clear light bulb in a silver reflector, like you would get in a hardware store, and clip a varying number of paper towels (usually between 3 a and 7) over the bottom to decrease intensity. The light source to contact frame distance is about 2.5 feet. Nothing wrong with a light bulb, it's worked well for some of the best photographers in the world.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin