Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,962   Online: 964

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Kentmere Bromide getting much to warm..

So that past 2 printing sessions I have been getting very warm contacts with kentmere bromide paper, and I can't figure out exactly why! I'm using ansco 130 1:1, and selenium toning 1:100. I mixed fresh chemicals and I'm still getting the problem, with prints coming out almost brown. They don't look bad, just way to warm for my taste. I just bought a new box of gr3, so I really hope it's not the paper.. Could fixer have anything to do with it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I use Kentmere Bromide with Ansco 130 (PF130) mixed 1:1 and selenium tone at 1:100 for 4 minutes. I get a neutral to slightly cool tone which turns just a touch pink with the toner. I get the same result with all 3 grades. I'm not sure about what effect the fixer may have... though I've mixed my own crystals with a touch of sodium bi-sulfite and used Sprint fixer without problems. I sure hope it isn't a change in the paper... I'm really happy with the results I'm getting. My paper stock was bought last year but I'm getting low. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. All the best. Shawn

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The problem isn't all that pronounced with some prints. I just recently started mounting my prints, which exagerates the effect by a large factor. I put the white overmat on and kind of had a holy crap moment. I've read up on selenium toner, and as far as I can find it doesn't go bad. Do you use KRST shawn?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak Rapid Selenium Toner indeed. Are you using it with distilled water? I usually do. Other than that I don't know what to tell you. I'm not a much of a technical guy... Best. Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Try adding some benzotriazole. I use 15ml of 1% benzo per liter and got very rich blacks on Kentmere Bromide.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Try adding some benzotriazole. I use 15ml of 1% benzo per liter and got very rich blacks on Kentmere Bromide.
    What should he try adding it to? I get very rich blacks with my setup, and it sounds identical to rootberry's. Shawn

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This sounds very strange indeed. I've been trying to get Kentmere Bromide to go a little warm and have never been able to do it. I've used amidol, Neutol WA, PPPD and lately PF 130. I've even added extra KBr to the 130. I've toned in KRST at 1:20. 1:50, and 1:100. Used three different fixers too, all of them rapid fixers. Lately its been TF4. All of the chemicals are mixed with the local tap water.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    ?!
    That is indeed strange. I am using PF130, water stop, tf4, KRST 1:100 for 3-4 min! Brown tones. I mix my developer with distilled water, mayhap I'll try tap water.. Confusing. Could the problem lie in the negatives? The light source?

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    I have never had brown tones with Kentmere Bromide paper. I have used grades 2,3,4 using ansco 130 1:1 sel tone 1:20 3 mins and I get cool tones.

How long are you washing the prints for?

Here is am images I just did on G4
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphot...00&ppuser=1792

My G2 and 3 has the same tone to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    rootberry, you don't say where in the world you are - are you in the Northern Hemisphere? I haven't used Kentmere Bromide in awhile, but I do use Kentona. I made wonderful, neutral prints using amidol and 130 in the spring, but when the summer temperatures went up, I began to get a yellow fog. I emailed Kentmere, and the folks there told me that the EU had forced them to remove cadmium from their papers, and the result was a tendency to developer fogging. They recommended exposing more and having the print in the developer less time.

That wasn't an acceptable solution to me, so I experimented with adding KBr and benzotriazole to my developers until I got rid of the fog and got the print color I like. As I say, this was with Kentona.

If you are in the northern climes and your darkroom temperatures have gone up, you may well have the same problem. As Doug says, adding some benzo may be the answer.
    juan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin