Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,890   Online: 984

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Does anyone have any good methods for contact printing e.g. a 5x7 negative on an 8x10 or 11x14 piece of printing paper? I would like to center the image left to right and either center top to bottom or leave an extra bit more room at the bottom for title or signature without doing a bunch of trimming after processing.
    Thanks,
    Les
    Like Don says...: How to Make a Centering Guide.

Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When contact printing in a Bostick-Sullivan frame using e.g. a 5x7 negative on 8x10 or 11x14 paper, what is the best way to obtain a white border with clean sharp corners?
    Les

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    When contact printing in a Bostick-Sullivan frame using e.g. a 5x7 negative on 8x10 or 11x14 paper, what is the best way to obtain a white border with clean sharp corners?
    Les
    You can cut a ruby-lith mask. Tape the neg. on top of the ruby lith with red masking tape. This will prevent light piping. and create a sharp edge with clean white borders.

The ruby lith isn't infallable though. If you have long exposure times the ruby-lith will leak UV light and cause the the coating to get enough exposure to create a dingy looking border.

I also tape the paper with painters tape to restrict the coated area to a minimum.

Hope this helps,
    Don Bryant

Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Don,
    I appreciate the help.
    Les

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Masking film version

I cut a semi-adhesive masking film, lay it down on the paper (if self-coating) then coat using the film as a mask. This will give a perfect edge. I have also used Ruby Lith on pre-sensitized paper (not as good though).

I think I read somewhere that you can create your own masks with ruby Lith and acetate. As in create a series of masks to suit you. (The print industry has been doing this for years). Providing the Ruby is on the bottom - as the contact layer I believe it works. I have to say I have not tried it yet though.

I use a commercial printing plate contact frame (with a vacuum) so this gives me up to over sized A3 as an image area.

The previous posts have more than covered your original question though.

Mark.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I just think in the long run, buying a larger frame will save you money -- you won't have to buy a larger frame in the future, and the larger frame in handy to use for 8x10.

Vaughn
    I agree. My first contact frame was an old Kodak 14x17, which I used for 5x7 and 8x10. Then, Durn, didn't I go out and buy a 7x17? Whaddayaknow--that fits, too!

Beware the glass: much new glass is UV resistant--you'll have 1 hour exposures with that stuff. Bubbles and scratches will grace every print. Inspect that glass, and trust no one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin