Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,518   Online: 761

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    J & C photography have a paper called Foma Fomatone MG 131. They state it is really a contact paper and is very reasonably priced.

See the details at http://jandcphotography.com/Photopapers.htm

Also a these folks are a source of old, silver rich type films in many sizes.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BarryWilkinson @ May 4 2003, 04:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>I am new to contact printing. I have consider using Azo but it is very expensive to buy and ship to the UK, maybe I&#39;ll try it when when I have more experience?

Barry
    UK</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Nothing has improved my photography faster and more profoundly in every aspect than learning to print large format negatives on Azo developed in amidol. I&#39;m a better printer, much better at exposing and developing film and my photographic vision is infinitely more meaningful. Also, I use literally one tenth as much paper now to get a fine print as I used to with enlarging paper. Never more than 5 sheets, usually 3. Working with Azo has improved my enlarging, too. I submit that it&#39;s the most economical paper you can use. The initial investment is higher in order to get some into your darkroom (especially since you really need both grades from the gitgo), but if you contact print large format negatives you&#39;ll never use anything else once you try it. I&#39;m sure Michael and Paula would be happy to ship it to you the least expensive way.
    Jim

JandC also has polywarmtone paper listed. Including 8x10 100 sheet boxes. I assume this is the same as what Fotoimpex has been selling for years and is the same as Bergger VCCB but much cheaper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (c6h6o3 @ May 4 2003, 10:06 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Nothing has improved my photography faster and more profoundly in every aspect than learning to print large format negatives on Azo developed in amidol...</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>

I think I shall be trying Azo sooner rather than later.

Thanks

Barry

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (c6h6o3 @ May 1 2003, 09:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> If I had to compare Bergger to any now gone papers of yore I think I&#39;d have to say that it&#39;s closest to the old graded Ilford Galerie. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    If you are referring to the old Ilfobrom from back in the late 70&#39;s early 80&#39;s, that was a great paper&#33; One of the best I ever used. Nice long full range of tones. The paper tone well in selenium, getting deeper and richer the longer you toned it. It also responded well to home brew developers. I used to used things like potassium bromide, sodium carbonate and glycin to alter contrast and print color.

If Bergger is anything like Ilfobrom, then I will try it.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RAP @ May 7 2003, 02:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> If you are referring to the old Ilfobrom from back in the late 70&#39;s early 80&#39;s </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    No, I was referring to Ilford Galerie. That&#39;s why I typed "Ilford Galerie". I&#39;ve never used Ilfobrom.

It responded to selenium toner in a unique way in that you got a noticeable deepening of the blacks without toning the highlights. It was virtually impossible to overtone. Ilford still markets Galerie but they&#39;ve changed it and it doesn&#39;t seem to yield the wonderful tones I got with it 10 years ago.
    Jim

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have used Ilford Gallerie and I believe they also call it Ilfobrom Gallerie. Whatever, I have also used it 10 to 15 years ago, and even then, it did not match the quality of Ilfobrom. I have prints of the same negative on the two papers and the Ilfobrom is far and away superior.

I have found that the Oriental Seagull graded papers have similiar qualities as Ilfobrom. Especially with the toning.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin