Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,511   Online: 815

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It seems to me from the discussion that AZO is the only paper available for contact printing. Why then can't you use regular, conventional fiber based papers to make contact prints?
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use regular papers for contact printing. Many people do it, including me. The reason you hear so much about Azo is because it was specifically created for contact printing, and gives such good results.

As Steve said, you can use regular papers for contact printing. No problem. I did that myself for a number of years. But if you want the best prints that can be made from your negatives, you will want to print them on Azo. Why? Better tonal range. Deeper blacks. More glow. More "presence." Outside of that, I guess there is nothing else. Oh, yes, one more thing. Contact printing on Azo is a lot easier than contact printing on enlarging paper. Because of the long tonal scale of Azo, there is only about 20% of the dodging and burning required than is required on other papers. And as a result, printing on Azo will enable you to print negatives that are otherwise unprintable. I could go on and on. I have already: see www.michaelandpaula.com. Look under "Azo" for my articles and those of others and for the "Azo" forum.

Michael A. Smith

As a pretty committed contact printer, I can tell you that OF COURSE you can use trad papers for contacting. And they look great. Azo is neutral at best and a little blue or green if not toned or developed exactly right, so contacting on a warmer paper can make more sense especially when photographing people.

One thing I have come to notice through experience is that graded papers seem much sharper than VC papers. Visibly sharper. You might try Oriental and Ilford's Ilfobrom, both of which I have had very good luck with.

An 8x10 contact on a graded paper (especially Azo) is undeniably a contact. An 8x10 contact on a VC paper is very sharp and glowy, but to my eye is indistinguishable from a 4x5 enlarged to 8x10.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've found that next to Azo, I get the prints most pleasing to me with the Bergger papers. Their film is very good, but there are lots of other films that I like. Their papers, however, stand head and shoulders above all others save Azo to my eyes.
    Jim

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the feed back. I was always surprised how some negatives printed so well when I used to contact proof them, now I just scan them. From what I have read, AZO seems to have many of the qualities all b&w papers should have, full range of tones, deep rich blacks and a glow. Now if somebody would just make it more suitable for enlarging and in the standard sizes, I would try it.

Bergger papers may be what I will try next. Though why would they ship boxes with only ten to 25 sheets per box? It does not make sense. Plus with their Siver Supreme, only make two sizes and one contrast.

I do not use VC papers. I have used the long gone Dupont papers, Varigam, and observed the same thing, not as sharp, plus blacks that are not as deep and rich as graded papers. In all that I have read about AA, I have never read of a print he did on VC papers. Though in his darkroom book, there is a shot of his darkroom and an enlarger with an old VC head.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The sharpest paper I have ever seen was the now gone Zone VI Brilliant graded. Great seperations all zones, especially in V and lower. Since Fred sold oout Calumet, the paper died, and now that Fred is gone, maybe Bergger is picking up the torch.

How does Bergger compare to Zone VI graded? Anybody do that comparison?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, I'm tempted to say that Bergger is miles away better, but it would be a deceptive answer to your question because I always hated the Zone VI paper. If I had to compare Bergger to any now gone papers of yore I think I'd have to say that it's closest to the old graded Ilford Galerie.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am new to contact printing. I have consider using Azo but it is very expensive to buy and ship to the UK, maybe I'll try it when when I have more experience?

I have just started using Bergger Art Contact 2, which may not be available in the USA yet? I processed two prints in Dektol, one of which I Seleniun toned (3mins@1:20).

The untoned print is a very beautiful cold blue, which may not be to everyone's taste, but I like it. The toned print is fairly neutral. Both are very sharp and have great depth.

Worth a try when it's available.

Barry
    UK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin