Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,733   Posts: 1,515,311   Online: 874

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can get foam sheet which has been cut to have a dimpled surface like an egg carton. Build a box big enough to allow about 6" clear space around the compressor and line it with the foam. Put a foam pad under the compressor. This will cut the noise to a tolerable level.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Great ideas everyone. Thanks. I have plenty of foam and this gives me an idea.

Jim

Because of the noise, I keep my vacuumm pump in another room--two rooms away, in a closet inside on a homemade insulated box (with a vent so that heat does not build up). No sound at all in the darkroom, and the pump barely can be heard in the room it is in.

Michael A, Smith

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    A la MAS, I put my vacuum pump in another part of the basement away from the DR so noise would not be a factor.

Just don't put it under the floor where the wife is still sleeping in the wee hours of the morning as I did!
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try replacing the carbon vanes. Not hard to do; just unbolt the head, note the orientation of the vanes, slip each one out and replace with a new vane. Blow out the head with compressed air (outside of course) and check the motor for lubrication (most are sealed, so no maintenance is needed).

We used these pumps on wet gate motion picture printers and they were very, very simple to service.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Into the other room she goes! I'm making an insulated box tomorrow. Thanks to all for the information.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Because of the noise, I keep my vacuumm pump in another room--two rooms away, in a closet inside on a homemade insulated box (with a vent so that heat does not build up). No sound at all in the darkroom, and the pump barely can be heard in the room it is in.

Michael A, Smith
    Mine is in another room - very quiet. You cannot hear Michael's at all! I thought he had it in the dungeon.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The pump has been banned from the darkroom! The hose live to see another day in the darkroom.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just in case anyone reading this has money to spend, there are some very nice diaphragm or membrane pumps made for backing up the exhaust of more powerful turbomolecular pumps in high-vacuum and ultra-high-vacuum systems. They are small, quiet and clean, and even come in chemically-hardened versions if you're creating nasty smells. They also have no problems with generating oil mist.

The best is the enemy of the perfectly good enough, but if you're searching for a new solution, these are the bee's knees:

http://www.pfeiffer-vacuum.com/filep...8PE_061009.pdf

http://www.edwardsvacuum.com/Product...t_Details.aspx
    Last edited by Struan Gray; 01-30-2008 at 03:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michaels insulation must work because I can't hear it at all. Then again, he is in Pennsylvania and I am in North Dakota and the wind noise from last night at minus 38 with 30-50 mph winds might have something to do with it. (wind chill factors to minus 75, not good for stargazing outside)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin