Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,654   Online: 640

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Vacuum Pump... Noise?

I recently got a vacuum easel and pump for a great price. In using it to print my 8x20's I have noticed that the Gast pump makes a rattling noise when in use. It is an oiless model. Is this normal?

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've had two, a small Kostiner one and a large unmarked one that was used with a large process camera. Neither rattled, but both were very loud. They also vibrated. I would put a soft neoprene or similar pad underneath. I'd also locate the vacuum in another room if possible, using a long hose. It works _MUCH_ better this way as you won't hear it as much.

If they really rattle perhaps something has entered the vacuum chamber? I'm not exactly sure how these work but opening it up might be a suggestion.
    Does it pull a good vacuum?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Phillip, yes it pulls good vacuum. I have never had one before so i don't know how noisy they are. It doesn't sound like anything is inside of it I guess the thing is just noisy. Thanks.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I recently got a vacuum easel and pump for a great price. In using it to print my 8x20's I have noticed that the Gast pump makes a rattling noise when in use. It is an oiless model. Is this normal?

Jim
    yeah, I think so. The ones I've ben around always made a lot of noise that way....but, that was almost twenty years ago.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    vacuum pumps should make a noise if turned on. Sounds as if everything is ok. I would try to locate it away from the easel.

lee\c

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you have a vacuum gauge on your easel? Or is yours the type where there is a flat plate with holes?
    A New Project! Transformations 02/02/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jim,

With regards to the noise, if you can't locate it in a different room, head over to your local Lowe's or similar store and pick up a pair of John Deere noise canceling head phones. They cost about $90, but they work great. You can even plug in your mp3 player to listen to your favorite music. I think Bose makes something similar for the typical Bose inflated price of something like $300.

Good Luck,
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When new the gast pumps don't rattle, but as they age the rattling is more pronounced as the carbon vanes wear. At some point the pump will lose efficiency due to so much wear and they can be rebuilt with new vanes.
    Sometimes the powder from the vanes will cause them to stick and lose pressure, this can be remedied by running some oil free solvent through the pump in a well ventilated area. Watch for sparks and flame sources!
    They are always quite noisy even new, they usually have a muffler in the form of a filter with a glass jar over it. You can even add more muffling to it if you are careful not to choke the air supply too much.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Well, it looks like the noise is normal. I saw that some of the hew ones had mufflers. This one has a vacuum gauge. I guess I will have to put it in another room and my neighbors will have to deal with the noise. Not bad when I'm doing silver contacts but will be noisy for my carbon prints.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might be able to find a new Briggs & Stratton lawnmower muffler that can be fitted to the exhaust port of the pump. It uses standard water pipe fittings, screw on. I don't remember how many times I've replaced a rusted out muffler on those motors with a length of waterpipe way back when. It may take some step up or step down adaptors but you can make it work.
    Gary Beasley

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin