Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,688   Online: 839

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A market for handcoated/small batch silver chloride paper?

How much would you pay for a sheet of 8x10 grade 2 or grade 3 DW paper that closely duplicated Azo paper?

PE

Moderator's note--this thread was split off from another thread about Lodima Fine Art paper.--d.g.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 05-06-2008 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    How much would you pay for a sheet of 8x10 grade 2 or grade 3 DW paper that closely duplicated Azo paper?

PE
    Or, for a minimum investment in time and money, you could make your own paper and not be constrained by the marketplace or other people's whims. When Michael's and Paula's paper comes along, you can celebrate one more tool in the box, but in the meantime, you have control of your own art.

Denise Ross
    http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Cont...v/MapTopic.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise;

I agree, but with either method you pay and that is what I want to find out. For example, how much for a liter of emulsion to coat your own, how much for precoated, how much to learn... etc.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Can you make it work at around a buck a sheet?

ILYA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ron,

I fully support your personal interest/investment in market research.

In the meantime I will continue to emphasize, especially to folks who may be new to the conversation, that no one has to wait for a product to be delivered up to them. Wanting to wait is another matter. I'm aware that not everyone is do-it-yourself. Photo finish labs would attest to that. But, anyone visiting APUG for the first time must be made aware that they are not victims of capricious market forces.

d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise;

People are aware, from my comments and Alex Hawley's tests, that a contact paper is within reach, so I'm trying to get more information on a different tack. Thats all. I do agree with you though.

Ilya;

The cheapest uncoated baryta paper in 8x10 will be about $0.60 / sheet or thereabouts. So no, it can't be a dollar a sheet. This is especially true due to the current price of silver, and the fact that such a paper would be a custom made niche product. But you have given me some thought.

Mass produced papers such as Ilford are nearly $1 / sheet at most photo sources.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'd expect closer to $2-$3, and, if I contact printed a lot of 8x10-11x14 images I'd probably pay it. Good thing I can't afford more than 4x5.

On that note...

I think I'm going to like 4x5 contact prints. The small images are very nice, sharp, and clear, especially when printing an uncluttered scene. I wish there was some way that 4x5 contact paper could also be made. I understand that I can cut down 8x10, by the way, and that's what I plan to do now.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It takes me between three to 5 sheets of paper to get a print I can live with , I have paid as much as 500 for a box of 500 sheets of Azo , that is what I was basing this on

I would like to try your paper to see if it is something I could work with at a high price...I'd pay for the trial run , but keep in mind I need a lot of paper , I mean a lot , when I work i do not look back and have missed that freedom ...

ILYA

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I have never tried silver chloride paper berfore, i would pay between $2-3 a sheet to try.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ron I think that the 2-3 dollar a sheet range sounds about right. I have no idea if this is right or not. Been to busy building cameras to follow closely. I would be interested. I have about 500 sheets of old G-2 and 400 sheets of new in 8x10. The real gem is the 250 sheets of 11x14 I have. Need some 8x20 as others have said. Whatever M&P come up with it is going to be expensive due to the falling dollar. So be it. I love printing in daylight! Seems like it with the Thomas wide open.

Jim

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin