Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1165

Shooter
    Large Format

Paper for negatives intended for AZO

Hi All,

I am down to the last of my azo. If any of you have any suggestions regarding commercially available paper you have used successfully as a substitute for azo I am interested in hearing about it as I will soon be looking for a substitute (unless Lodima arrives soon). My negatives print well on azo as they were developed with that paper in mind. I use Efke Pl100 developed in Pyrocat HD.

Thanks!

Henry

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try this. It's enlarging paper so you'll have to get a dim bulb and diffuse it even further, but I've seen some breathtaking prints made on this paper by printers such as yourself who have run out of Azo.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've tried every graded paper I can find and nothing really compares IMHO. However, EMAKS, Slavich and Kentona are good papers but I feel certain they might have too much contrast for your negs. If you're a praying kinda guy, pray that Lodima makes it. I've already decided to make albumens and photogravures, see http://www.photogravure.com/
    Check out Cy DECOSSE and Charles BANKART's work at that site. Albumen and photogravure require a diffent mind set, but I've seen some really impressive stuff made with those 2 methods. Good luck.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boehm View Post
    I've tried every graded paper I can find and nothing really compares IMHO. However, EMAKS, Slavich and Kentona are good papers but I feel certain they might have too much contrast for your negs.
    I've seen prints on Kentona that are just as good as the finest Azo prints. Seriously. You control contrast with water bath and increased development time.

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Azo paper

I have some azo paper for sale. Pat

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    My pyrocat negs that are exposed and developed for azo are usually too constrasty for Kentona, sometimes work on EMAKS 2and have never worked on Slavich 2. All 3 are good papers, and yes, Kentona is probably the best of the 3 IMO. I've also tried Berrger's Art Contact 2 paper; it's also good, no longer made, but it's no azo. However, I got some from Berrger USA about 8 months ago, and they may still have some, but I'm not sure about that. I've just never seen any paper that has azo's long, but not flat, range, bold blacks that hold detail, and at the same time, have such a delicate look. I wish there was a comparable paper, but I just haven't seen it. Some of MAS's recent posts indicate Lodima may be ready this year.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have turned to Oriental Seagul printing my 8x20's. I use Ansco 130 which I have now had for a year and only add new when the bottle gets down. I use 1:2. between grades and changing the concentration from stock to 1:4 you can get good control

michael andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can also use one of the Ilford MG papers, regular or warmtone. I've done it with success. Also allows using the VC filters for contrast control.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I've just exposed/processed some TXP pyrocat HD negs intended for Kentona. I developed the Kentona several ways:

One was in Ansco 130 1:1 and also 2:1 for 3 minutes.

Another ways were Ansco 130 1:1 and 2:1 for 2 minutes and then in a water bath for various times.
    As c6h6o3 said, its contrast can be controlled. While I still prefer Azo, Kentona is beautiful.
    As Michael said above, it can be diluted even more and produce nice prints.
    I prefer gold toning because of its blue/black shift. Kentona has a slight shift but it had to be toned for an hour.
    By the way, Emaks and Slavich tone well in gold.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin