Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,752   Online: 900

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

cleaning 5x4 glass plates

hi all i have just been given 4 glass negatives to have a go at contact printing they look very nice but have some marks on the glass is it possible to clean or should i just print and see how they come out .all help is much needed.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If the marks are on the back (not the emulsion side) you may be able to clean them with simple glass cleaner. Just be certain not to get any on the emulsion side while doing this (and try not to get finger prints on the emulsion side either). Apply the glass cleaner to a lint-free cloth first, and sparingly, and then carefully wipe the spots rather than spraying the cleaner on the glass.

I've got a number of glass plate negatives in my collection and most all of them have some small amount of frilling of the emulsion around the edges, which leads me to believe that the adhesion of the emulsion could be fairly easily damaged if not handled with care. If in doubt, just leave it be.

- Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    hi thanks for the reply i will give that a go

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin