Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,523,992   Online: 801

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Zby

Hi all,

I took me a while to search the archive but I haven't found anything about waxing the paper negatives. I am recently using paper negatives for my pinhole cameras and want to get rid of paper texture on final contact prints. Can anybody advise a waxing formula? I've heard of turpetine mixed with alcohol but have no idea of proportions.

Please, help.

Rgds,
    Zby

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi zby:

i have a photography annual from 1904 ... i'll see if i can dig up a formula and post it if i can find it ...
    another thing i have heard of people doing is coating the paper with canadian balsam, it makes the paper transparent like a negative ( i guess like waxing it? )

-john
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Large Format
    Light Impressions sells a product which is identified as a wax for black and white prints. It is supposedly archival. I don't know if this would be of help in your situation. I believe that it was manufactured in Europe and imported to the states. Perhaps you could locate a source there.

Zby

well. I want to make my paper negatives translucent. I have no idea how and where to get canadian balsam in Poland, sorry. Any ideas of greasing paper are welcome.
    Rgds,

Zby

Zby,

Search the archives of this site:

http://www.usask.ca/lists/alt-photo-process/

there are several threads on waxing/oiling paper negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi again Zby:

I was able to dig up 3 methods of making paper translucent. I am not sure what Gum-elemi is, when I looked it up in the glossary, it said "resin" ...
    Anyways - here it is:

From 1908 Photographic Annual: Figures, Facts & Formulas
    "Making paper translucent: powdered resin, 4 z; gum-elemi, 4 oz; paraffin wax, 2 oz; rectified spirit of turpentine. 12 oz; Place in a large clean enameled saucepan, and heat over a fire or gas stove, with constant stirring, until mixture boils and froths up to to fill the pan. Allow to cool a little , then add another 12 oz of rectified spirits of turpentine, stir thoroughly, then pour into wide mouthed bottles and cork well. In the melting there is a liability for the mixture to catch fire ( especially if the stirring is slackened), therefore a close-fitting lid or flat board large enough to cover the top of the pan should be kept at hand during the melting. To use, lay the prints face downward on clean blotting, and stretch with drawing pints on a board. Use a broad flat brush well charged with the varnish and with a few sweeps quickly cover the whole back of the print, then let dry. If white spots appear, give another coat of the varnish.

Pour melted paraffin wax over warm prints in a hot zinc dish, paper side up - drain before fire and dry.

Smear paper side with vaseline, lay on blotting paper and iron several times."

You might find something on one of the Alt Process Forums as Annie suggested.

I hope this is a good start at least

- John
    im empty, good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Best bet....

Buy this book

Primitive Photography by Alan Greene.

He uses beeswax. I'm guessing pure beeswax.

Anyway his book is VERY good. He covers wet and dry negs, all sorts of chemistry, etc.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Zby

thank you, everyone. I keep searching for the formula.
    Rgds,

Zby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You should be able to get beeswax.

What kind of waxing do you want to do?

You can do it after you expose the negative, or before. There are different methods for each.

For both you use pure beeswax. To use it you heat it to more than 80C but NO MORE than 100C (that will decompose the wax).

If you like I can post the procedures for both. With the dry process - the process you use before exposing the negative - you have to also change how you sensitize the paper.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi zby:

can you post your findings / results on your negative waxing?
    was it easy?

i made myself a 8x20 pinhole camera a while back, and thing the whole endevour would be that much easier if i could wax my paper negatives since film costs a small fortune in that size <g>

THANKS in advance!

-john
    im empty, good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin