Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,512   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Ortho film fogged.

This morning i wanted to create a enlarged neg for cyanotype.
    So I took the freestyle arista premium halftone supreme ortho film which i bought february 2007 en kept cool.

I found out that is was fogged. I also had a small pack 4x5 ortho which also was fogged.

Do you guys also have experiences that ortho film can not be kept for very long period of time????

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've used and heard of other people using Ortho lith films such as the Arista you have many years past its expiration date. Kodalith type films can apparently be kept for decades on a shelf without refrigeration and still work properly. Are you sure you have the proper red safelight for it? Amber safelights will fog these films.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I did not have problems in the past. And i did not change my darkroom light.

Since the film was send to europe, could it be a scan problem at customs which will eventually be causing this?
    It looks like clouds or the structure of sand in the desert which creates lines by the wind.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think i found the problem.
    I use since 5 months a osram duka 50 safelight which caused the fogging.
    turning this off and using a red bulb solved the problem.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Add 10% potassium bromide to your developer depending on volume. See the article on the following link - http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/En...nlargeneg.html.

Develop unexposed film and repeat until fog disappears. APHS even when fresh requires bromide to prevent fogging. Developing times may need to be extended for equivalent contrast range and density.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I think i found the problem.
    I use since 5 months a osram duka 50 safelight which caused the fogging.
    turning this off and using a red bulb solved the problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, I think you've missed the point. Some Ortho films are far more sensitive to others and the variations between different safe-lights can be critical. So a light that's safe with some lith & line films may well be too bright or the wrong colour for others, particularl films like Ilford Ortho Plus which is an 80ISO film, and the Adox Ortho..

It's better to tackle the root cause rather than add bromide which is going to effect the overall contrast of the negative as well as reducing the fogging.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep...must use a red safelight with APHS Ortho!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    APHS Ortho is pretty insensitive as long as you're using a red safelight in my experience. I bought some maco genius ortho litho film and that is MUCH more picky and can't develop by inspection even with the same red safelights.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thursday I exposed & processed 3 sheets of Ilford Ortho Plus and measured the base-fog densities. The first sheet had a 10x12" Kodak 1A safelight directly overhead about 1 meter above the development tray. For the second sheet, I turned the safelight around so it bounced from the ceiling to illuminate, and for the third sheet, I turned that safelight off. For each of these, three other 1A safelights were illuminating the room via bounced light from distances of about 2, 3 & 4 meters. The FBF densities were 0.18, 0.08, and 0.06, respectively. The first sheet was given 5 minutes development and the other sheet received minutes development in HC110B. The first sheet was also 1 year older than the other two and since it was the last last sheet in a box handled by several others in a community darkroom it may have received some unknown cumulative exposure (but so could the others), this observation isn't OTBE. But, it seems to indicate that the film is responding to the red safelight especially when the illumination is direct rather than bounced. I suspect the effects would be more pronounced if a more active developer had been used.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobherbst View Post
    APHS even when fresh requires bromide to prevent fogging.
    I have used APHS extensively, and have never had any fog whatsoever, regardless of age and regardless of developer. LC-1, A+B, HC 1:79, long development times and short development times. Right now I even have a box of 50 + year old no-name graphic arts film that came out of one of the estates I am working on, and it works fine with no fog under a red safelight.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 09-27-2008 at 03:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin