Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,203   Posts: 1,531,625   Online: 1114

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: POP ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    UF, BTDT, ROI? I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't matter. POP is gone and that makes me very SAD. I have one box from the last batch in my freezer. Damn.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    UF=UltraFiltration
    BTDT=Been There Done That
    ROI=Return On Investment (closely related to UBU)
    POP=Printing Out Paper
    SAD=Seasonal Affective Disorder
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    UF, BTDT, ROI? I have no idea what that means, but it doesn't matter. POP is gone and that makes me very SAD. I have one box from the last batch in my freezer. Damn.
    May not be forever?

I had a reply from Simon Galley of Ilford in response to my query about its reinstatement and he said Ilford were still working on it.

So keep those fingers crossed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    In another thread, Simon Galley said it was a matter of reengineering the UF wash system to run at 80C. PE
    ??? I can't seem to find such a comment by Simon.

Do you have it somewehre?

In anycase, the problem was explained more in terms of a health issue... the Kentmere process required the use of an unhealthy low vapor pressure organic... on a small scale, with an experienced operator, Harman speculated it could have been done at Kentmere by Kentmere, but not in the new facilities... it was just too unhealthy...

It is possible that the UF fits into this somehow, but I got the impression that there was just too much volatile escape to be allowed.

Ray

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thats really bad news. Back to self coated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't have a reference. If I saved all of them that interest me I would have run out of disk space.

As it is, I have found a number of old formulas for POP in textbooks I have here. I suppose I will have to try one or another of them out. I'm not sure why the UF is involved though (if it is).

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are half-a-dozen, give or take, POP recipes in Jan Arnow's 1982 Handbook of Alternative Photographic Processes. Personally I was hoping not to have to "D-I-Y" but perhaps it will be a good idea to review these formulas!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    UF=UltraFiltration
    BTDT=Been There Done That
    ROI=Return On Investment (closely related to UBU)
    POP=Printing Out Paper
    SAD=Seasonal Affective Disorder
    Thank you doctor, I feel much better..

If there is still a slim hope that Ilford will work things out I will drop Simon a note expressing my support. I wish I could do more, it would be too much to expect a Michael Smith to step up for P.O.P. and I'm certainly not in a position to do so.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    SNIP; If there is still a slim hope that Ilford will work things out I will drop Simon a note expressing my support.
    I think if everyone who would like to see POP back on the shelves drop Simon a note expressing this, it may, I say may, just get something happening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Chicago Albumen Works claimed previously on their Website that Kentmere made Centennial POP to their (CAW) formula. Now they say "Unfortunately, in the current economic climate, the cost of procuring the Centennial™ POP formula". Something doesn't sound right here.

As a new paper has only just been launched to replace Azo, it is possible to bring replacement products to market albeit made by a different manufacturer. But someone has to shoulder the R&D costs etc.

Like Ron (PE) and others I have a number of formulae for POP's but at present I don't want to return to emulsion manufacturer.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin