Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,764   Posts: 1,516,226   Online: 1080

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of Azo?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Age of Azo?

I posted this on the Azo Forum as well but thought it might reach more eyes here...

---------
    I've just begun working with a 6x6 mf camera and as such picked up 3 - 500 sheet boxes of 2 1/2 in. Azo. I'm wondering what age it is, I can find no date on the boxes though I haven't opened one yet.

The following is the info from the box:
    Kodak Azo Paper
    Cat 141 7831
    Single weight
    E2
    I'm guessing the numbers below are for the emulsion...? Two boxes have the same number, one box is different.
    01302-73574V PD
    03904-73192P DD

Any ideas of the age or where I might look? As long as it prints well I suppose it doesn't matter but I'm curious none the less.

Shawn

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have about 5 sheets left of what my grandfather bought which expired on my birthday. (the actual birthday in 1961) and it prints just fine. They just don't build to last anymore, do they?

I thought I would wait until I was 50 to finish off the box.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's a great story, Robert. I'm sure it will be a nice moment for you when you use the last of it.

I was told my 3 boxes were stored well and have reasonable info to believe it... I'm sure it's fine and I'll find out soon enough but I'd still like to know when it was made. Where was the date printed on your box? As I mentioned I haven't opened mine yet....

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    The date on my box say good through 9-1961 (I happened to be born in September -- how strange life is) and was stored in the house and garage through those 50 or so years it was in existence.

Bullet proof! lol
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have a large box of 10"x10", grade 4 Azo with an expiry date of 1978 -- unfortunately it is fogged (and not too evenly fogged at that)...my fault as it has been at room temp since I got it maybe 12 to 15 years ago. I might be able to use it with busy forest scenes, but low contrast negs is not a problem I usually have.

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you call Kodak, they can probably tell you the actual coating and expiration dates from the emulsion numbers. IDK if they will, but that data is encrypted in the numbers you see on the box.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the thoughts fellows!

Ron, which department should I try and contact? Obviously they don't have a paper division anymore? Thanks!!! Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just call the toll free number on any Kodak analog product. IDK if they still have paper product data, but they did last time I called. They told me what date it was coated on, what plant, and the expiration date. Of course, it might have helped that I knew the guy on the other end of the line personally but he made a point of telling me that they would do it for anyone.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Ron. I'll give them a call. I appreciate the info. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I just talked to a very nice fellow at Kodak who looked up the Catalog number for me but said it was no longer in the system. He also tried the emulsion number but mentioned that the batch numbers are recycled and that without being able to identify the Catalog number there was no way to tell....

I'll post some pictures of the box in the next day or so and maybe someone can give me an idea from the style of packaging...? Shawn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin