Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,575   Online: 768

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Airequipt Junior 4x5 contact printer

Hello,

Has anyone here ever used one of these? I just picked one up on eBay for $10.00, just to give it a try. Problem is, I don't know how to open it to change the light bulb. The safelight burns, but no bright light for exposing. Also, any tips on how to use it would be apprciated.

I am new to LF, and just purchased a Sinar F, with Rodenstock 150mm and 210mm lenses. I will process my on T-Max in trays at first. I was hoping to use this little contact printer just for fun.

Regards,

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One problem is I think that's intended for contact paper. Normal enlarging paper is way too fast. So you'll need to cut the light output some how.

To be honest if you have an enlarger I'd use that for a light source.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Nick. I was hoping to find contact paper online. Don't they make it anymore? For now, I don't have a darkroom, or an enlarger. This little printer is really neat, and I would like to make it work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think there are some threads on using just desk lamps or other small lights. Doesn't need much power [10 watts or less?] A bathroom would be okay for this. How are you going to process the paper?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some of these contact printers turn the exposure light on when the top is closed and latched. They may also have a bag that inflates to press down on the paper and neg. If it has a timer, you would set the timer, and then when you close it, it will expose for the time set.

Azo was a contact paper, and the new Lodima paper is a contact paper, but the first large production run isn't going to be available for a few months. There may be some boxes from the first test run available from www.michaelandpaula.com.

There are a few RC contact speed papers out there, but they're not easy to obtain in the US.

Meanwhile, you may be able to use enlarging papers with a contact printer like this, but your times will be very short, or you may need to reduce the exposure with ND filters above the bulb, or even just sheets of paper might work, as long as they are not close enough to the paper to add a texture to the image.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reducing the light output shouldn't be a problem: use a 7 1/2 watt bulb. If you need to cut the light some more then use one of those 'bulb saver' thingies (they look like a plastic coated quarter dollar that you put in the socket).

The white light should go on when you close the platen. If it doesn't then likely it needs a new bulb.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, guys. This printer has a safelight that burns when the unit is plugged in. Then I assume the exposing light comes on when the lid is closed, since a button under the lid is also pressed down. But, I can't figure out how to access the bulbs, and the exposing light needs replaced. It appears that the top may pry off, but not sure and didn't want to force it. It looks similar to how a lid goes onto a tin canister. This thing dates back into the 1950's, and was hoping someone knew something about them. Again, thank you all. Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by metalbuyer; 12-23-2008 at 05:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I figured it out. The fogged glass comes out, which exposes the safelight and a 25 watt bulb. The exposing bulb had come loose, that's all. It works great, now. When the lid is closed, the safelight goes off, then the 25 watt comes on. Nothing but a metal box with bulb and switch, but a really cool one. I bet this thing will work with the right watt bulb and paper. Oh well, it's all for fun anyway. Regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can obtain Fuji Gaslight paper from Dirk at Japan Exposures and the Foma contact paper can be obtained at Freestyle Photo. I'm planning to pick up a box of the Fuji at some point in the near future, but for now I'm doing something simple.

In my basement I will have a rolling cart. On that rolling cart will be a piece of black felt. On that piece of felt will be a sheet of whatever paper I'm going to use (Slavich Bromoportrait is most likely the vest possibility) with the emulsion side up. On top of that will be the film with the emulsion side down. And as a final layer will be a piece of clear glass. I will be hanging a clamp light that my grandfather made (and I really should take a photo of the old thing because it's rather cool) on a piece of rope with a frosted 15 watt bulb over the entire 'contact printing' assembly on the cart.
    No idea what's going to happen next, but I'm hoping it involves being wrist deep in chemicals come the weekend.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the dark ages- i.e. 1960's I used an Airquipt 4x5 printer. It had two bulbs inside, one red the other white opal, both 7 1/2 watts. Enlarging paper did not work (I tried). :>( In fact I still have the printer in storage some where.

Jim

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin