Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,548   Posts: 1,573,020   Online: 880

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    As far as noise goes. Turn your darkroom stereo on about volume 2 or 3 and you won't know its even running. Basically the noise you hear is from the vacuum pump running. As far as UV exposure goes, you'll get probably 5 times the UV exposure by going outside on a Pasadena sunny day. But if you're worried about it just wear long sleeves and tinted safety glasses when you're dodging and burning. These units were made with a curtain that could be drawn around the light and vacuum frame while the unit is running. Of course that's no help if you are dodging and burning. You can also buy welding curtain material cheap and make up screens to set around the unit. But if you talk with someone who has considerable welding experience they'll laugh at the amount of UV exposure emitting from these units, considering the amount of UV that they come in contact with on a daily basis. These are not 2000 or 5000 watt units. They are only 1000 watts and the lighting is directional so 5 ft away from the unit the light that is being spilled has considerable fall off. Now you could buy welding leathers and a full face cutting shield but I've never felt the need to break mine out. Long sleeves, tinted safety glasses and a good sun-block on your face and the back of your hands should provide all the protection you need if you're really worried about the UV exposure. And if your eyes ever feel like you've got sand in them, hold raw potatoes on them ( old welders trick). But I assure you you'll never need them.
    Last edited by RobertP; 01-26-2009 at 06:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks..the reason I asked about noise was considering working late at night in my house...

On the other hand, th Pasadena sun is consistent at least 10 months out of the year!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin