Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,947   Online: 777

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Filters in Contact Printing

I an wondering what others people thoughts on this are, I use a standard Paterson contact printed for both 35mm and MF.

I generally print contact sheets with the contrast set to 2 on the multi-grade head or if using hand held filters I hold a 2 filter under lens. my logic is i tend to print 80% of my stuff at this grade.

Does this make a difference through the glass ? am i just wasting energy ? does anyone else do this? thoughts please
    Simplicius

"defying gravity since 1898"

My Flickr Account

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicius View Post
    I an wondering what others people thoughts on this are, I use a standard Paterson contact printed for both 35mm and MF.

I generally print contact sheets with the contrast set to 2 on the multi-grade head or if using hand held filters I hold a 2 filter under lens. my logic is i tend to print 80% of my stuff at this grade.

Does this make a difference through the glass ? am i just wasting energy ? does anyone else do this? thoughts please
    Yes, you are getting the contrast grade you are printing to through the glass. I vary contrast with VC paper all the time while contact printing 8x10. If the glass has a bit of a tint I suppose it could have some effect by slightly shifting the wavelength with VC paper, but it would be very minor.
    Last edited by JBrunner; 02-01-2009 at 03:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Simplicius View Post

Not enough to make a difference. I see maybe about 1/3 stop of light loss from the glass, but I'm using plain old window glass without any AR coating.
    Frank Schifano

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin