Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,568   Posts: 1,573,495   Online: 662

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just a Few Questions...

Hi guys,

So I mentioned this in another thread, but had a few more questions that I was wondering about. I got a small amount of G2 Azo some time last year and have been holding off on testing it until I knew for sure whether the Lomida paper would come to fruition. Now that is seems it has I've decided to go ahead and try to test it. I've read up and feel like its going to go fine, but I still had a few questions.

First, I got some Amidol from Photographers Formulary. I contacted them and found out that this is the Amidol from the Chinese bulk order. I have read from time to time that people have problems with this Amidol, but haven't been able to find the specifics as to what people are having problems with, and more importantly, how they are fixing them. Any suggestions? Are people filtering there developer before using it? I thought I read something about that at one point...

Second, I plan on using an enlarger with no lens, just the bare bulb to expose it...I'm not positive on the wattage of the bulb...but has anyone else done this? I could probably work up something to be brighter if its a huge problem, but I was hoping that this would work. Suggestions?

Thats all, but if anybody has any tips I'd appreciate them. 25 sheets is all that I have so I'd like to limit any mistakes so that I can get a good feel for the paper in a relatively short amount of time.

Thanks so much in advance.

-Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It would be a good idea to filter out the developer to remove any large particles of amidol, which mostly have the effect of staining the back of the print.

The enlarger bulb might not be bright enough. Lots of people use 300-watt bulbs. I tried a number of light sources and settled on a cheap halogen desk lamp from Ikea with the UV filter removed, and my exposure times are usually 15-30 sec.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

The enlarger lamp is probably not bright enough. I use a R-30 reflector flood (45 watt) from any hardware store. The 300w are expensive and usually you'd have to special order. I filter the amidol with a filter flask and DE (do not ask me to spell it) first filtration. Second with coffee filters no DE. See the AZO forum. I would not recommend the Chinese Amidol for a first time user because of the extra work. After the first fix wash before the second to remove the stain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin