Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,692   Posts: 1,482,418   Online: 710

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 8X10 vs 5X7

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My 8x10 pack and pod weigh 60 pounds. I carry the thing all over the place, but then I am 240 pounds and about 6'3" (and almost 55 yrs old). I've been setting the camera up for so many years that it does not seem overly large or bulky to me. I walk in creeks, up mountains, cross country in the local rainforest...though it is easier on trails. Going with light weight equipment (and less lenses), I could easily take 10 to 15 pounds off my kit. I just might have to go that route someday.

But in the end, I want to shoot 8x10 and the weight just gives me more exercise. So if moving up to 8x10 is important enough to you, you'll pack it where ever you want/need to go.

Vaughn

PS...I have a Zone VI 8x10 and a full size Ries pod and head. The pod is sturdy enough that it doubles as an aid to climbing over boulders, logs and such.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I find that much of the time I prefer the ratio of 18x24cm over 8x10". The holders are externally the same, so it is just a matter of deciding which to use.

On the other hand - if a 5x7" print looks to small, then so will most likely 8x10" too. I feel I need to go to 24x30cm to make a significant difference, even if it is not all that much bigger than 8x10".
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is really such a shame that there is only one color film left in 5x7 format (Portra 160NC). It is my favorite of the large format sizes. It is almost twice as nice as 4x5, and has an aspect ratio that I prefer by leaps and bounds over the "ideal" format of 4x5, 8x10, 6x7cm, etc. Also, I agree with others who have said that 5x7 is noticeably more convenient than 8x10 as far as the bulk of your kit goes. If I was going to divide images on an 8x10, I would do it vertically (5x8) rather than horizontally (4x10).
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 03-05-2009 at 04:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It is really such a shame that there is only one color film left in 5x7 format (Portra 160NC)...
    http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=608

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post

It's a good one, too!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    No color films for 5x7? I shoot velvia and astia in 5x7.... pro s, I cut down.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not exactly 5x7, but certainly the same aspect ratio. Aesthetically identical.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...6118_13_x.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    a while back freestyle was selling boatloads of
    outdated fuji color and chrome film in 5x7 ...
    and it was dirt cheep ... not listed you just had to ask about it ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    It is really such a shame that there is only one color film left in 5x7 format (Portra 160NC).
    If you get a couple of 13x18cm holders, you will find that there are a lot more films available:
    Kodak: EPY, EPP, E100G
    Fuji: Provia 100F

Those are what I found on one single retailer. As long as I can get E100G or EPP, I'm happy.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't know what kind of 8x10 you're trading for, but thought I'd mention the Wehman 8x10
    http://wehmancamera.com/camera.html
    It's light and I really like it.
    I normally have the ground glass masked for 5x8, as mentioned in the 5x7 thread.
    I use lithograper's tape for masking the ground glass, not regular masking tape.
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/3470-3...ed?cat_id=2005
    That tape is red but you can see through it. I find that it helps me to compose, but yet really doesn't
    interfer with composing for 8x10, as did regular masking tape.

Also, there are many formats "within" an 8x10, i.e. 5.5x8 as you like, 4x10, 6x10, 6.5x8.5
    Often, I'll just mask for 1 format, i.e., 5x8 and go to an area and only shoot that.
    Then I might go back to the same area masked for 6x10
    I then trim down the 8x10 neg to whatever format I was composing for, plus a little extra for handling purposes
    I suppose if you shot a lot of film, it might eventually be cheaper to get a dedicated camera, i.e. 5x8

Also, I sometimes backpack with the 8x10, but it gets heavy with lenses, film holders etc.

There's a long, like 100 miles, maintained trail where I live that follows a river with lots of cottonwoods.

I'm going to shoot that next summer. I tried backpacking it last summer and it was difficult after 5 miles.

So, I got a Sherpa Cart, see sherpacart.com. I'll probably use the cart + a lighter pack. My Wehman fits
    into the cart, along with water, lenses and film holders. I can put other stuff in the back pack.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin