Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,074   Online: 1059

Shooter
    35mm

Suggestions for 4x5 Contact Prints?

I want to do 8x10 eventually, but I'm borrowing a friend's 4x5 in a few days. Suggestions on paper + developer? Any slow, readily available enlarging papers that will do in a pinch? PF 130 paper developer looks good, but is dektol suitable?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    When I started out, I used Kentmere and Ilford fibre papers for making 4x5" contacts, but I've been doing contacts on both RC and FB papers. My suggestion is to buy some RC multigrade paper and a paper developer, any brand will do well. It will make it easy and quick to see the results.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks. I think the plethora of choices is what was overwhelming me. I was wasn't sure if any of those choices would be good ones. It looks like experimenting is part of the fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you have an enlarger you can use it as the light source. That will allow easy use of filters and let you dial in the exposure to a time that you prefer. Set it out of focus to even out the light, and control the exposure time with the lens aperture.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm an extreme 130 advocate but right after that comes Dektol. Howard Bond, for instance, uses Dektol and nobody can dispute his prints...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    as evan said

ansco 130 ... it will make any paper look good
    and if in stock solution it will last a long long time ..

have fun
    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin