Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,222   Online: 968

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by skillian View Post
    SNIP; Speaking of good work, I went to Akron last weekend and saw the Weston & Friedlander shows. As always, loved the Weston prints, but I was blown away by Friendlander's eye.
    One of my favourite photographs is a shot of Akron taken by Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    Ansel said that there is nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy subject.
    I think what he said was "There's nothing worse than a sharp picture of a fuzzy concept." He was wrong, though. A fuzzy picture of a fuzzy concept is far worse.

Speechless though you may be, too many platinum prints do not have rich tones. And people defend the weak prints by saying, "that is the platinum look." Back in the 1960s, I think it was, Laura Gilpin complained bitterly that people are now making platinum prints and they are weak. "Not like we used to make them." (That is a paraphrase, I do not have the exact quote at hand.) Some platinum prints are excellent. Paula and I are having some made for ourselves. But way too many are weak, weak, weak. I have seen Azo prints that are weak, weak, weak, too, but not as great a percentage as one finds among platinum printers. Nothing against the platinum process, just against many of the prints I have seen.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Some platinum prints are excellent. Paula and I are having some made for ourselves. But way too many are weak, weak, weak....
    Well, I'm glad you've said this, Michael. I often feel as though I'm risking the wrath of the naked emperor when I've thought to say so too, but have chosen to keep quiet. My favorite platinum prints were those of Koichiro Kurita that I saw some years ago at John Stevenson Gallery; they were rich and expressive.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My apologies for this next post as it really has nothing to do with the initial topic.

First, let me say that it is very commendable that at this point in time in "tradional photography", that Chamlee/Smith have put their money where their mouths are in order to produce a product that they believe in.
    Full disclosure: I have not used Azo nor do I contact print, to be honest, I am a hack of a photographer and printer.

Having said that, I have seen contact prints on Azo before and for what it's worth, they didn't even come close to the quality of some of the traditional and alternative prints that I have seen in the past. Contact prints may be what you enjoy producing and viewing, however, it is presumptuous of you to assume that any opinions contrary to yours are invalid.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some platinum prints are excellent. Paula and I are having some made for ourselves. But way too many are weak, weak, weak.
    Yes, of course, you and Paula are superior in every way. Why would anyone question that?

Frankly Mr. Chamlee, while you talk a good game and your displays of condecension, arrogance and derision towards others are unmatched, I just don't get it. I have yet to see a photograph created by you that matches the hype. Something that would really make me stand up and have respect for someone that feels they can treat others in the way I have seen you treat people here.

To everyone else, I appologize for this uncharacteristic outburst. There comes a point where a person can accept no more of this self-aggrandizing ballyhoo without the evidence to back it up.

Most Sincerely,

William G. Schwab

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In the words of the great sage Terrell Owens;

I love me some me

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Some platinum prints are excellent. Paula and I are having some made for ourselves.
    Michael ... Outside of Salto, who makes these excellent Platinum Prints?
    Just out of curiosity.
    Nigel Tufnel: It's like, how much more black could this be? and the answer is none.
    None more black.

Mr. Schwab,

Who is Mr. Chamlee?

Have you seen my photographs? Have you seen our platinum prints? If not, then what is the basis for your comments? And since our platinum prints have only been exhibited at Photo LA in 2008, at the 291 Gallery San Francisco late last year, at AIPAD in 2008, and at the James A. Michener Art Museum in Doylestown, Pennsylvania (Paula's prints only), I do not know how or when you saw them unless you met us personally, which you have not done.

I'll relate this story. I am sure it will seem arrogant to you, but it is a true story. At Photo LA, where we had a Lodima Press booth in 2008, in the morning before the exhibition opens to the public, curators and collectors take groups of people, who have signed up and paid money, on a tour of the exhibition, supposedly giving them insights as to what is hanging on the 60 or more galleries' walls. Unbeknownst to us, someone we knew (but did not know very well) was in a group that a collector was taking around. Later that day, this fellow stopped by our booth and told us that when the collector brought the group to our booth he pointed at one of Paula's platinum prints (24 x 30" on hand made Japanese paper) and said, " If I were going to buy just one print at Photo LA this year, that is the one I would buy."

I have mentioned before that our platinum prints are printed from five separations in Belgium by Salto. So, are our platinum prints any good, maybe even superior to most others? Maybe they just might be. but not because I made them. I couldn't begin to make a good platinum print myself.

I have seen a few photographs of yours, Mr. Schwab, on the Internet, and I don't care for them, but I would not presume to comment on their quality without seeing the real thing.

I did once, only once, comment on the quality of someone's photographs after going to his web site. As I recall I said something like: "that after seeing his pictures I could understand why he was so bitter." This fellow was so over-the-top antagonistic to me that I just could not help myself. Other than that, I refrain from commenting on anyone's photographs. I write generally about prints. I never mention specific photographers.

So it would appear, to me anyhow, that your comment about my photographs, which you have not even seen, is nothing but a scurrilous derisive attack.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    John Voss

My Blog

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin