Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,960   Online: 961

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    I was shocked at how terrible the tones were. Yes, that had very deep blacks, but the large prints just had no life to them. Then I noticed a hallway in a balcony where there was a row of his contact prints. I was blown away. I do not believe I have ever seen any prints more beautiful than those contact prints.
    This parallels my experience exactly. The photograph that inspired me to get a bigger camera and begin contact printing is Adams' portrait of E. Weston under the eucalyptus tree where he's sitting among the roots. I saw an 8x10 contact print of this picture at the National Portrait Gallery about 15 years ago. I've never seen it again anywhere. I was dumbstruck.

A few years later the NPG put up the Friends of Photography restrospective which included a 16x20 enlargement of that negative (printed by A. Adams, of course). Horrible. That soured me on Adams forever. Every time I see any enlargement by Ansel Adams I like them less and less.

If you ever get a chance to see his contact prints, which is how he did almost everything before 1940, don't pass it up. They're some of the most beautiful photographs ever made.

A really big thanks for taking the time to respond David. As you stated, pretty much as I surmised.

Now to get out of the way and follow this thread....one can hope that civility will reign.

Ed

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I was lucky enough to get a box of the initial run of Lodima in the 8x10 size and did a 5 x 7 contact print on it from TMY. I found myself staring at it, a bit amazed that I actually did that. Beautiful tones and depth. I have now ordered some boxes of 8 x 20 Lodima to use for my 8 x 20 negatives. I can only imagine what those will look like ...

Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    .....she looked at my photographs, she said that while my prints were indeed fine prints, something was missing.
    Like Edward Weston.
    Let me ask you something. If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

- Anton Chigurh

Quote Originally Posted by Dinesh View Post
    Like Edward Weston.
    And your point is?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    And your point is?
    I can't speak for Dinesh, but perhaps his point is levity.... Something that might be beneficial to this thread along with a little humility.
    Last edited by billschwab; 04-20-2009 at 11:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    In the spirit of levity and humility, I beseech all LF contact printers out there to buy some Lodima paper. Those of us who've made contact printing our medium would really like to see this venture succeed. It's quite remarkable paper.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I hope this is a benign question.

I would like to know the proper storage for this paper in order to insure it's long term keeping capabilities.
    If I store it in a refrigerator will this have any effect on the paper?

Thanks

Gary
    "He who expecteth nothing,
    Shall not be disappointed." Robert Willingham, 1907

Storage of Lodima paper:

We store excess paper in a freezer. Colder temperatures slow down the rate of chemical change. Now, is storage in a freezer necessary? And is it even desirable?

I do not believe storage in a freezer is necessary. We have purchased Azo that has been stored at room temperature for 30 to 40 years (or longer) and it is just fine. So I would say to just put the paper on a shelf in a relatively dry place that is not too hot.

Years ago I spoke with w chemist at Kodak who did not have an answer to the question of how to store silver chloride paper. She wasn't sure that storing the paper in a freezer would slow down aging of the paper. She said it was possible that it could even speed up the aging process, but the bottom line was she simply did not know.

I have stored paper for twenty to thirty years not in a freezer with no signs of aging. One reason we now store paper in the freezer (not opened boxes), is that we built a huge walk-in freezer to store our Super XX film, and I have no other place to store the paper.

Hope this ambiguous answer helps. Maybe Ron Mowrey has a better one.

I think the bottom line is not to worry about it, if you can manage that.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With no offence intended, I think a refrigerator would improved keeping and a freezer would improve it even more so. That is, if the keeping was not the same as Azo itself. Until we have a year or two or maybe a decade of real keeping on several batches, I would have to refrain judgment, not having run any tests nor seen any tests on Lodima directed towards keeping.

So, thus, in this case, keeping the paper cold is insurance for a new product just in case.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin