Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,695   Online: 865

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    plus I'm thinking about contact printing my 6x7cm negatives.
    I can't recommend that enough, Travis. I've been making 6x6 contact prints on Azo and Lodima in amidol and they have this incredibly precious, jewel like quality about them. Plus, it's a great way to learn the paper without breaking the bank.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ron,

Nice information. I have compared curves of AZO 2 and AZO 3 with curves of a number of other silver papers and there is no question but that the toe and shoulder of AZO is quite different. As you say, there is no mystery to the look, one can see it in the curve if you know how to look.

So far I have not seen a Lodima curve. I did not buy any of the paper because at present I am only working with carbon transfer and other hand coated processes, and I still have quick a large supply of AZO 2 and AZO3. However, if Michael or someone else would send me a few sheets of the new paper I would be happy to test it and make the results available to the forum.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Now, I am not an Azo expert by any means when it comes to printing, but I am an expert in reading these sensitometric curves. Ilford MGIV and Kodak Polycontrast were similar to the Kodabromide. They are all quite different than Azo, and these differences go towards explaining all of the "mystery" here. It is no mystery to me. It is by design!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy;

My wife and I are still in awe of your portfolio of prints!

You don't need Azo or Lodima IMHO. Kudos and best wishes!

Ron

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    Well Kirk, since you have never printed on silver chloride paper your comments really are meaningless.
    Michael A. Smith
    Thanks for spending so much of your time on my appearantly meaningless comments.

Speaking of prefering Ansels contact to his enlargments or not, I really found your giant, color enlargements of convicted criminals more interesting than your contact prints. Are you going to do any more work of that style?

And that's just my opinion.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    To answer Keith Tapscott and Travis Nunn:

Just relax about all of that stuff and go make new pictures.

Michael A. SMith
    Amen, brother. Too much endless rambling on this board about chemicals and densitometers, not enough about important stuff like seeing. Let's all quit arguing and make some kick-ass new work.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skillian View Post
    Amen, brother. Too much endless rambling on this board about chemicals and densitometers, not enough about important stuff like seeing. Let's all quit arguing and make some kick-ass new work.
    I don't think I was rambling or arguing, just asking a simple question (subjective as it may be...) from those with more experience with this type of paper than I.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About 18 months ago I was given a slew of paper by someone moving to an assisted-living community. It included a pack of AZO, badly stored with three sheets remaining and an expiry date of 1968. I'd never used Azo before and decided to contact a 6x6 neg for fun. I did it under my enlarger so the exposure as I recall was approximately a month-and-a-half at f11! I developed in Dektol - because that's all I had.

Clearly it was not my best image but there was indeed a depth and a presence to the image that I hadn't seen before. It spoke loudly to me of possibilities - the same feeling I still get when I open a new box of paper.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with this to a long extent. But consider this:

When I first started out in photography about nine years ago I had tons of questions and trouble finding answers. A photography instructor I had while taking a class at a local community college was heavily influenced by technical quality of his prints. He got off on processing Agfa APX25 in Rodinal at 1+300 dilutions and then enlarging it to 4x6 feet and probably had wet dreams about the grain quality. My dad was the same way, and for a while those were the only photography teachers I had.
    Then one fine day my dear wife told me exactly what I needed to hear: "Your photographs are not very interesting, Thomas!" I failed to understand, because I could show her prints of grain almost as beautiful as that of my teachers...
    Since then I've come a little bit along the way of making photographs more interesting and meaningful (at least I hope so).

1. I'm sure there are more people like me around here that are uneducated about the topic, just like I was (I'm not an expert either, but I know a lot more today than I did back then, partly thanks to these forums).
    2. I'm sure that some people are in it for the pleasure of messing around with the technical aspect of photography.
    3. These forums I feel are geared more towards the technical aspect of photography. If you look at the way the forum headlines are organized, it's all about film, chemistry, emulsion making, camera equipment. Not until toward the bottom of the list is the forum where you can discuss the art form.

But as I said, I largely agree with you that there is too much discussion about what paper/film/chemistry is best, while in fact almost any materials available today can be used to make interesting photographs if one goes out on a limb to find the limit, exceed it, play with it and investigate possibilities just by having fun with it and working hard, and not least - document it.

Quote Originally Posted by skillian View Post
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yep. We do tend to lose sight of the fact that the materials etc are only the means to an end - not the end itself. That said - the more we all know about the differences in the materials available the greater the means to achieve the ends.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Be sure to take a look at today's entry in Mike Johnston's blog--

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad...est-facts.html
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin