Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,934   Posts: 1,585,593   Online: 708

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian,

Yes, I use Pictorico OHP - have been for the past 3 years printing in platinum. Dan suggests using the PGHG white film for silver printing but this film blocks uv which is necessary for most alt processes.

Cheers,
    Roger...

Images
    Got ya.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    has anyone tried this with silver printing in mind? I'm just curious if it would be easier to mass produce a print which requires some hefty dodging and burning by doing so in photoshop first and then just contact printing. I would be working with an 8.5x11 printer, though, not one of the 13x19s.

what would I like to mass produce? postcards for the apug exchange
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Jeremy - Yes, it happens all the time. The LensWork Special Edition prints are all made this way. Except that the negative is film, not Pictorico.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have known about the LensWork Special Editions. They are actually the ones which have led me to my research and ask my questions. I'm sorry, I should have been more specific in question.

Has anyone created a pictorico (or similar transparancy) digital negative on an inkjet printer and contact printed it on fiber silver gelatin paper (I have only worked on traditional enlarger papers, but can move to the foma contact or even azo if need be) and been completely satisfied with the results?

I have seen many mention of soft images produced on silver gelatin whereas the material limitations (or artisticly imposed) on pt/pd, cyantotype, van dyke, etc. commute this softness to a point where it is either very close to or indistinguishable from a straight from camera 8x10 film negative. It also appeared that all of these softness complaints came from individuals NOT using pictorico transparancies.

I would like to think of myself as being very skilled in the use of photoshop--a veritable god compared to my darkroom skills. In time I would like to practice and increase my straight wet skills, but due to college in addition to an almost full work week I don't have the extra hours to commit. In contrast, I can do pre-press work on the computer in-between chapters of Kant or Thuycdides and batch process my images when time allows. I also know that this level of sophistication in the process will take time, but I am willing to spend that time now if it will allow me to create more prints in the future than I am now (have been in the darkroom once since this past summer).

My other requirement is that the images be produced from a desktop printer and not come from a imagesetter. At the moment I print in the area of 8x10 on 11x14 paper and 5x7 and smaller on 8x10, but envision that in the future I may wish to print larger. I will have to weigh whether or not a large carriage printer would be worthwhile against the cheaper 8.5x11 printers.

If anyone is doing this would be willing to send me a sample I would greatly appreciate it. I can either purchase it or rent it and send it back, just let me know.

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="Jeremy Moore"]
    Has anyone created a pictorico (or similar transparancy) digital negative on an inkjet printer and contact printed it on fiber silver gelatin paper (I have only worked on traditional enlarger papers, but can move to the foma contact or even azo if need be) and been completely satisfied with the results?

I have not done this for silver gelatin paper but I have done so for carbon printiing on smooth papers, which can actually convey more detail than silver gelatin. The result, even in the most favorable comparisons, was some slight loss of image quality in comparison to in-camera negatives.

At this point in time even the best inkjet negtives on Pictorico do not appear to give image quality equal to in-camera negatives (or digital negatives from imagesetters) when the final product is a print on a very smooth surface.

For Pt/Pd and other alternative processes on art and drawing papers, negatives on Pictorico give virtually identicla results to prints from in-camera negatives, IMHO.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I may need to re-post one more time--completely due to my own fault. My originals will be from 35mm and 6x6 negatives. I don't expect the prints to be equal to what can be done with an 8x10 original negative, but comparable to an enlargement from 35mm or 120 film. This is also keeping in mind to my amateur skills in the darkroom. I'm thinking that if the sharpness is not an issue I can deal with a loss in resolution (if not too large) as I will have much more control over the actual image than I would in the wet darkroom.

I guess the biggest question is about the sharpness issue.

Sandy, do you print your digital negs from an inkjet and do you find them sharp?

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore

Sandy, do you print your digital negs from an inkjet and do you find them sharp?
    Hi Jeremy,

Yes, I print my digiital negative wth an Epson 2000P inkjet printer. And they are very, very sharp, perhaps more so than if I were to contact print direcly from the original negative since I am able to enhance sharpness with the unsharp mask feature in Photoshop.

But, note the caveats.

1. I get better image qualaity in carbon on smooth papers with in-camera negaives than with digital inkjet negatives, and

2. I am working from scans of original 5X7" negatives, not 35mm or roll film size.

When printing with kallitype or Pt/Pd on water color and drawing papers the inkjet negatives give results virtually equal to in-camera negatives.

Sandy King

Images
    Just a heads up for anyone interested in Digital Negatives for Silver prints. The latest issue of View Camera has a great article on how to go about doing it.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks for the heads up, I will head over to Hastings today if I have the extra time and pick up a copy... thanks!

blog
    website

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin