Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,828   Online: 888

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The 'essential' info is also available at:

http://www.bradhinkel.com/Correction...0Negatives.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went ahead and picked up the issue and saw some wonderful images by a number of APUG contributors.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

I just ftped a test print to copygraphics to verify my curve for grade 3 AZO. Brad Hinkel's article really helped. However I have had to apply a levels changing the midpoint, in advance of the curve to adjust the overall contrast. My previous tests show the prints to be tolerable and much sharper than anything I have done inkjet. Did not like the halftone negs even at 425lpi/3600dpi (you could see there was a linescreen). There were problems with the 3600 dpi stochastics negs also. Peter has found a workaround where I send a grayscale file with curve and he processes with rastus.

Someone who took one of our workshops is making 8x10 negatives, digitizing them, and using the digital negatives to make prints on Azo. he said it took him a couple of tries to get the curves right, but now that he has, he feels he is making the best prints he ever made. His last comment, " I spent the day in the darkroom yesterday and am finally getting prints that are exceeding my expectations."

He has agreed to write up, as an article, what he is doing including the curves he has used. I have not seen the article, but it may be on the way now. It will be posted under "Writings about Azo: in the "Azo" section at www.michaelandpaula.com.
    This article still has not appeared. Any idea when it might or is this a lost project?

Kind Regards,
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

We have not received the article yet. We did receive an email from this fellow saying that he felt he still had a little moer work to do. He wants to get it right for sure so it will be useful to others.

Thanks Michael.
    Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

I printed the imagesetter test negative and the result was total failure. My initial results with a inkjet were good following Brad's article. I am going to try it again, but measure the test print with a densitometer and convert the readings to percent with a spreadsheet Brooks Jensen gave me.

Basically using Brad's guidelines I did the test again using a densitometer instead of the scanner. Success. I can now construct a curve for a given paper with two imagesetter negs. But after the initial tests: initial test chart and then a neg to prove the curve construction, I'll only need to run a neg to prove the curve since I already have the test chart neg. The only time I'd have to print another test chart is if I used a different linescreen. We are now running a test using icefields. I am then going to compare a AZO print from a in-camera neg against a imagesetter neg.

Prefer the rastus linescreen over the icefields. Unsharp mask settings 50/10/3 to 75/10/3. 600dpi files to 1800 dpi bitmap processed at 1800 dpi. Processing at 3600 dpi is problematic (streaking). I think this is the sharpest AZO print I can get from an imagesetter negative. Unless the problems with steaking is solved.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith
    We have not received the article yet. We did receive an email from this fellow saying that he felt he still had a little moer work to do. He wants to get it right for sure so it will be useful to others.
    Michael,

Any news on the article yet?

Thanks!

Jim

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin