Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,958   Posts: 1,586,116   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

POP (Printing out paper)

I am new here and trying my way around the interface. Have tried search without luck. Does anyone here know the status of POP manufacture? I have heard rumours about it being discontinued as the factory was bought and closed. Any one know?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ka-put. RIP.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ilford can't make the Centennial POP paper that was formerly made by Kentmere. The reasons are in a thread last week concerning Kentmere products.

You can make your own, look on the Unblinkingeye website. There are quite a number of POP formulae around, the problem is if you want to coat a baryta paper support rather than a water-colour paper.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Make salt prints! Cheap and easy. You can wax them too for glossy detail.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Print on Lodima Fine Art silver chloride contact paper and selenium tone. This paper is capable of wonderful tonality.

Trevor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shan Ren View Post
    I am new here and trying my way around the interface. Have tried search without luck. Does anyone here know the status of POP manufacture? I have heard rumours about it being discontinued as the factory was bought and closed. Any one know?
    Official press release and resultant discussions here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...te-harman.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
    Print on Lodima Fine Art silver chloride contact paper and selenium tone. This paper is capable of wonderful tonality.
    Trevor.

Lodima Fine Art is very different to Printing out paper and so wouldn't be a substitute, POP's are self masking during exposure unlike most other papers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Lodima Fine Art is very different to Printing out paper and so wouldn't be a substitute, POP's are self masking during exposure unlike most other papers.

Ian
    I know that Ian for I've printed on both and I'm not saying its an absolute substitute; in fact I still have 25 sheets of POP left Lodima selenium toned has a very similar look to POP when gold toned and Lodima has a wonderful tonal scale particularly when developed in amidol, again in my opinion equal to POP's self-masking properties. Seeing is believing.
    Last edited by Trevor Crone; 03-24-2009 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most POP papers are considered to have limited lifetime and the formulas I have fit into that category. Anyone have any comments on the longevity of POP raw stock?

Thanks.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Most POP papers are considered to have limited lifetime and the formulas I have fit into that category. Anyone have any comments on the longevity of POP raw stock?

Thanks.

PE
    I don't know about raw stock, but my stock of paper is about four years old which I keep refrigerated and just take out what I need. It still looks good, unlike stuff I've simply stored at room temp. (21C).

Trevor.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin