Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,721   Online: 800

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well - I am brand new to AZO and my first 4x5 contact prints (in Amidol - thanks Michael) have completely captivated my interest. They are unlike any other silver gelitin print I have ever seen. It is wierd - I see it instantly but I don't think any of my friends or family sees it. The range of tonality, the density of black - the whole look of it. For alternative process prints - I can see that shooting 4x5 and using inkjet negs will work fine - But for AZO ... well. My 8x10 camera will get here on Monday and my 210mm Fujinon SW will be here tomorrow. I got 50sheets of TRI-X yesterday ... and you can see where this is all going. All from a 4x5 contact print. The hook is really set. I just sold off all my 35mm gear to pay for it. I just get a rebel for family action shots.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Frank,

There is one other point that has not been brought up here. I like to call it the WOW factor. There is nothing like seeing those big negatives for the first time hanging after they are processed.

I know some people make beautiful images with the digitally output negatives. But I don't think I could give up that WOW feeling just for the ease of use in the field. When you see the negatives for the first time and make prints from them, it makes all the struggle in the field worth it.
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is my feeling that photography does not need to get "easier"

Ray Bidegain

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I on the other hand prefer to have it "easier", especially when the negative size is 12x20. If my procedures are giving me difficulty I find myself spending more time away from the field, away from seeing things and making better photographs. "Easier" for me means the ability to focus on my vision, my composition because I have mastered my technique, my materials. I take pictures outside of my home and I strive to spend more time away from the darkroom.
    Francesco

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    I got 50sheets of TRI-X yesterday ...
    Try 400Tmax, Frank. I used Tri-X and HP-5 for years and I much prefer TMax.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Hello, I think that another consideration for you is that the camera you are using will determine a lot about the image. If you are wanting a 12x20 image, then the best way to get that is to use a 12x20 camera. If you are using an 8x10 camera, you will tend to want to fill the 8x10 frame. But of course you can set up any camera with masking so that you only see on the ground glass an image that is porportional to 12x20.
    I mention this because I used 4x5 for several years before I was able to move up to 8x10. I then added 11x14 and 12x20. I was struck with each new film format how different it is from the others. When I am carrying a particular camera I am trying to fill the frame of that particular format.
    huh?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin