Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,997   Online: 806

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is really one for Sandy King but I know I am not trying something that is not already done for many or you. I read Sandy's fine artical on PyrocatHD and noticed he did not put the curves in for TRI-X on the UV Channel. So I am looking for a starting point.

Senario 1:
    PyrocatHD 1:1:100? for TRI-X sheet film in a tank - hand agitated for regular silver prints with a condenser head:

Is it ASA 320 for N at 70deg for 8min30sec?

Senario 2:
    PyrocatHD for TRI-X sheet film - 8x10 in a tray. Contact printing for AZO 2:2:100?
    What is the N filmspeed and dev time? (will the negs be usable for Kalitye?)
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently shot OLD Tri-X (2x3) at 200 and developed in PyroCat HD 2:2:100 for 18-minutes for printing on Azo. I have not used the new Tri-X in sheet film, but for roll film, I use the same times as I did with the old stuff. I should point out that I exposed for shadows on Zone IV, so that, plus the somewhat long development produced a very dense negative for Azo printing. I posted a scan in the critique gallery the first part of December.

I have no idea about Kallitype.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    [quote="fhovie"] I read Sandy's fine artical on PyrocatHD and noticed he did not put the curves in for TRI-X on the UV Channel. So I am looking for a starting point.

I did not have a densitometer capble of UV readings the last time I tested TRI-X so I don't have UV data. And, my last tests were with the old TRI-X. I have not yet tested the new TRI-X.

For TRI-X (at least the old variety) and AZO I would use the 2:2:100 dilution of Pyrocat-HD. With subjects of normal brightness range you should get enough contrast for AZO with about 16 minutes of development at 70F. This should give you a negative that will also print well in kallitype (using ferric oxalate). With vandyk (using ferric ammonium citrate) you need more contrast so increase times to 20 minutes or even more.

Images
    Has anyone done any testing with the "new" tri-x yet?
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Has anyone done any testing with the "new" tri-x yet?
    I tested the new TRI-X 320 recently. Not much difference between the new and the old in terms of contrast and shape of curve as far as I can observe.

Sandy King

Brian,
    I've been using new tri-x in 8x10. Pyrocat HD at 2:2:100 in a Jobo at 68F for about the last month.
    No densitometer, but I'm suprized at the my increase in development times vs. old tri-x.
    For old tri-x my times were 6 min in a high contrast situation and 8 min in a low contrast situtation (the extent of my zone system!).
    New tri-x seems to require 7 min high contrast(about a 15 percent increase and kind of in line with most of what I've read), but 10 min low contrast (a 26% increase!) when I print on AZO.
    Some of this might be filmbase + fog, since I use a motor speed of "3" because my motor doesn't have enough torque when I use a lower speed.
    Take care,
    Tom

Images
    cool, thanks for the info guys.
    hi!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin