Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,317   Posts: 1,536,759   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

F*$%!ng! newton rings on my contact prints?

Up until now I've been doing my 8x10 contact prints with just a hinged piece of glass. No problems.

Now I have a new contact printing frame (photographer's formulary) with clean glass and I'm getting newton rings on one particular area of the neg I'm printing today. I cleaned the glass and repositioned the neg but they appear in every print (in the same vicinity) about the size of a dime. That area of the print* is bright white tone I can't see residue or defects on the neg. How do I fix this?

*kentmere glossy fiber
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I solved this problem by cutting a piece of TruVue Reflection Control framing glass for my contact printing frame. Print with the "rough" side down, touching the back of the neg. It's been bullet proof for me and should cost you less than $20 unless your local framer is a crook. =) Mine gave it to me for free. Good luck, Vinny. Shawn

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Up until now I've been doing my 8x10 contact prints with just a hinged piece of glass. No problems.

Now I have a new contact printing frame (photographer's formulary) with clean glass and I'm getting newton rings on one particular area of the neg I'm printing today. I cleaned the glass and repositioned the neg but they appear in every print (in the same vicinity) about the size of a dime. That area of the print is bright white tone I can't see residue or defects on the neg. How do I fix this?
    It could be a low spot in the glass. The rings are caused by incomplete contact. This can be cause by an imperfection in the glass, and often just by high humidity. You can try replacing the glass, increasing the pressure on the sandwich (try adding paper under your printing paper) lowering the humidity, changing to the bad type of old non-glare glass, or experimenting with other types of non glare glass (breaks up the harmonic) or blowing the bucks on anti newton glass. Personally I'd start with new glass and work up from there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Humidity is the los angeles type=LOW. As I said, I repositioned the neg to the other side of the frame and the rings show up on the same spot on the print.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Humidity is the los angeles type=LOW. As I said, I repositioned the neg to the other side of the frame and the rings show up on the same spot on the print.
    Your probably getting rings elsewhere, they're just getting printed over. The stuff is all guesswork, and it is a maddening problem. I'll hold forth that the glass, the pressure, or the humidity in some combination are the problem. I used to get them here, and it doesn't get much drier. Went away for me when I went to a frame with more pressure.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Maybe try what someone told me for enlarging and newton rings and rather conversely dust the glass and the negative with some baby powder or similar then brush off? Sometimes it's a bit of oil/ nose grease causing the newton rings and the dust soaks it up.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If you use a frosted type, non-glare glass, isn't it hard to see where to dodge and burn?
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    In an attempt to isolate the problem, have you tried other negatives?

Going another direction, the following older thread that I just happened to read recently on the LF Forum, is pretty critical of the contact frames from Photographer's Formulary. There are complaints having to do with uneven pressure which does seem to be the problem you describe.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ry+print+frame

I have no personal experience with Photographer's Formulary frames. I have 8x10 and 11x14 sizes from Bostick & Sullivan and 7x17 made by Bill Schwab. After Photostock you have to wonder when he had time to make contact frames, but it works perfectly.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go to a frame shop and buy a piece of anti-glare glass.

Worked for me!

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never did read in the "Daybooks" that EW had a problem with Newton rings, I wonder what glass he used. It was not expensive I'm guessing, he was not that way.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin