Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,979   Posts: 1,523,750   Online: 1176

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

no defeat

Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Hmm, that's fascinating about the red phosphors. My TV has the ability to change tint w/ quite a bit of latitude. Maybe by experimenting with that I can get the color balance right.

I think to test what you're all saying (that the glass is too thick for a tight image) I'll cut off a short strip of 35mm and tape it to the screen. Then I'll hang my head and admit defeat.... or not!

Isn't there an Adam and the Ants album with a picture from a TV on the cover. I love that look.

Thanks again for all the input!
    NO DEFEAT! You learn! And you express!

Technical photographs must mimic physical reality. Art may do so if that's what you are after. But they don't have to do so.

I think it is an extremely interesting idea, and I don't even own a TV.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Having, in a former life, worked as a TV repair technician, and having personally administered the violent release of CRT vacuum on numerous occasions, I can testify that most CRTs have a front glass thickness ~1/2" - 3/4" thick, depending on the size of the CRT.

Hence my attempt at doing this resulted in my using a pinhole camera in front of the CRT, where the pinhole size was about the same as the phosphor pixels on the CRT. Of course, a glass camera lens also would work, perhaps with a faster exposure time, but you may have issues with focus at the edge, since most glass CRTs are curved, if you used a wide angle lens and a close-up distance to the TV. You probably would have better results with a longer lens further away from the screen, getting a flatter field.

~Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    On old scanning electron microscopes, images used to be recorded by exposing sheet film laid on the CRT display. It used to be acceptable to label images as $largenumberX where X was based on a 4x5 negative's proportions. Now that everything is digital, the "10,000X" doesn't mean anything and you have to put a ruler somewhere in the image for scale.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi! this might be a little forward for my first post, but i haven't gotten round to introducing myself yet- i will shortly, i promise.

There's relatively simple way around the glass thickness problem, but then again it might defeat your purpose:
    Use/find a plasma or TFT screen.
    With a TFT screen hooked to a monitor, you can do "powerpoint shutter" instead of DVD shutter, the top layer of the TFT is really thin compared to the CRT glass, you can do endles color balance, exposure, contrast and so on to the image on photoshop and powerpoint...
    But then you lose the cool factor of doing it from a "vintage" TV...
    Cheers!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin