Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,772   Posts: 1,484,350   Online: 1230

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    The tone can be slightly varied by increasing the amount of Kbr added to the developer, extended toning will also give a slight color shift.
    The test box of Lodima that I bought renders the most beautiful print color I've ever seen. I developed it in Artcraft amidol. I liked the color so much that I didn't tone it for fear that it would change. In this respect, at least, I find it superior to Azo.

I can't understand the lengths to which people will go to avoid using amidol. I know that it's a PIA to get started with, because of all the ancillary chemicals you have to buy, but once you lay in a supply of those you won't use anything else. Quick and easy to mix, blackest of blacks on silver chloride paper.

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agree Jim, I did not want to tone either, the color is just spot on for my taste.
    I have so far only used the Chinese Amidol and it is a little extra work to get it filtered but otherwise it works well for me.
    Are there any difference in print color compared to the English Amidol from Art Craft?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLP View Post
    Are there any difference in print color compared to the English Amidol from Art Craft?
    Haven't developed the same negative in both in order to tell.

However, I can tell you that I actually prefer the Chinese amidol. I hate having to filter it, I hate the way you can't see the print in the tray, I hate the way it turns the print and my fixer yellow BUT it yields denser blacks on Azo than the gray stuff. Patent leather black on all grades of Azo, even Canadian grade 2. I haven't tried it yet on the Lodima paper.

I agree about the tone with the Lodima and Art Craft Amidol....no reason to tone unless one thinks that selenium will add to the longevity of the print. Most of us will be long gone before our prints turn, selenium or not. Some have found the Lodiam and amidol to be slightly to the greenish side....have any of you?

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Jim, Lodima looks fabulous in the Chinese Amidol at least from my limited experience. I do ad a bit more Kbr than what MAS recomends. The color of the Chinese Amidol when filtered is pretty but yes, not easy to see the print.

I certainly believe Amidol as the print developer gives the best print color and richest tones in a print. When combined with Lodima paper, in my opinion, the results are as good as a silver print can be. I have seen photographs on other papers and printed with other developers that are also excellent, but a lot more effort is involved in getting there and there are only a few times I have seen this. And rarely with more than a print or two.

When the paper arrives, and possibly before, as Paula and I have a small stock of the "pre-production run," we will be offering a selection of "example prints" at prices greatly reduced from our regular print prices. We will be doing this so those not familiar with the paper can see for themselves what it is capable of. And those who already know how the paper can print, can purchase the photographs just to have them. We will be offering these in limited editions, as we do not want to print many of anything.

In the next week or two we will be making an announcement about delivery dates for the paper.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    ULarge Format

Amidol just fine

No green tint with Amidol. And actually, when you get down to the amount of prints you can run through it in a session...it's not that expensive. A little bit goes a long way. given the price of film and camera gear...don't chince, give azo the best shot, use amidol. or at least try it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I've tried it in dektol 1:1, ansco130, and amidol. I think anyone who looks at a print done in each by anybody, will prefer the amidol print. Anso130 close but not quite, dektol not in the running by comparison. You will be tired of printing long before the developer gives up the ghost. I had to break into my chinese amidol last session. Quite the bother from my black amidol, but well worth it. With the color, I was surprised at the amount of carryover. I recommend a fresh water bath with each print. I wish I could set the color stain from the amidol. I kinda like it. I might try some lith with what I have left. I have found this paper prints well when neg printed requires about 1 stop more than minimum-to-black.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Smith View Post
    In the next week or two we will be making an announcement about delivery dates for the paper.

Michael A. Smith
    Did I miss the annoucement ? If somebody can point me to it.

No announcement yet. When I have a relatively definite word regarding delivery, I will send an email to everyone who ordered the paper, as well as announce it on the Azo Forum, APUG, and the LF Forum.

The emulsion has been made and I believe the paper is being coated this week.

Michael A. Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin