Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,177   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    sounds like you like it even warmer than i do
    Indeed, Jim, I do like it warm. I print mostly 4x5 so when I mix 500ml of amidol I'm adding a full 3 grams of KBR directly (not in a solution) to the mix. This seems to balance out the slight purple of the selenium toning and ends up with a nice warm rusty look.

It really is a lovely colored paper straight up though. By far the nicest color of any silver chloride paper I've used - through my experience is admittedly limited.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I print mostly 4x5 so when I mix 500ml of amidol I'm adding a full 3 grams of KBR directly (not in a solution) to the mix.
    It warms the cockles of my heart to hear that another contact printer is making lots of small prints. Almost all the prints I showed at Steve's weekend this year were 4x5. People seemed to respond well to the intimacy of them.

As to the restrainer in your formula: by my reckoning your concentration of KBr is 20 times that which Michael Smith uses. Doesn't that restrain your developer, like...overly?

(The arithmetic: 10% solution is 10gr KBr in 100ml of water. Therefore a 30ml measure of 10% solution would contribute 3gr of solid KBr, which is what you use. Since MAS adds 3ml of 10% solution to 1 liter of amidol working solution and you're only using 1/2 liter of working solution, you end up with 20 times the concentration of KBr that he does. Wow.)
    Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    By far the nicest color of any silver chloride paper I've used
    and consistent. I've gotten the same color with Azo but only sometimes. This stuff seems to render it under all conditions. Go figure.
    Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jim,
    something about those 4x5 contacts..... Love em! Looking forward to seeing your work again soon!

I'd imagine there is some effect upon development though I'm no scientist.... I should mention I started using 5 grams of Amidol to make 500ml of developer. I did this to compensate for what I viewed as a loss of amidol because I was running the Chinese powder through a coffee filter. Maybe in actuality I'm compensating for the KBR? I'm still using a developing time of 1 minute at room temp. Prints are definitely fully developed and the water bath works as always.

Consistent indeed, though, all my experience thus far has been with the initial test batch.

P.S. I've also been working on a series of 2 1/4 contacts!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shawn,

I was filtering my Amidol through a coffee filter too until I read on M&P's site someone suggested a cotton ball in the funnel. I tried it and it worked faster than the coffee filter. So that is how I'm filtering it from now on.

I add extra Chinese Amidol because of the loss of sludge, ten grams per liter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using a #2 cone shaped coffee filter in a Melitta plastic conical single cup coffee brewer. I think that is the KEY. Works far better than the cotton ball in the funnel method (at least it has for me).

I've added a small pic of the Melitta product.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails melitta.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Me thinks Shawn likes his coffee BLACK!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Thanks for the info
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Me thinks Shawn likes his coffee BLACK!!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist.
    Thanks for the info
    Oh god, that's one mistake I'd never want to make... I made sure my "amidol" brewer was a different color! =)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Has anyone tried Kodak Polytoner with Lodima? Or at least the substitute that Kodak publishes? I'm thinking of mixing some up, but may not be able to try it myself for quite some time.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some Lith with Lodima. Worked perfectly. Toned them in Moersch Polysulfide. Perfect.
    Any toner should be tried.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin