Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,746   Posts: 1,515,664   Online: 787

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    thanks guys, I really appreciate all the help and support !

now, the tricky thing is, getting my parents to actually let me use the bathroom for this purpose. Being that my dad is a doctor, he is a real stickler for our family's health. So getting the whole "can i bring some chemicals that you know absolutely nothing about into YOUR 2nd bathroom"? I asked him and my mum 6 months or so back, and he said no, so please pray that this time his mood has changed. Its not that he's against me doing photography( in some ways, he's very traditional and wants me to go to a 4 year, yada-yada...) but I'm a photo major and I don't think it really clicks in his head that I'm different than him in my methods of learning.

I know there are plenty of threads on this site that go into the safety and precautions of photo chemistry, and I plan on having ALL the MSDS sheets for everything in a spiral notebook.

All this is foreward thinking, If he lets me do this after all

I really want to use the Lodima, and I've been soaking up Michael's writings on his site, and all the things I've been reading on here about it and its fine qualities, but starting out, I think that I'll stick with the papers I know from enlarging, EMAKS(fotokemika) and Ilford. Eventually trying Lodima!

thanks for all the help and support, if anyone has anything to add, or thoughts on something not covered yet here, please post, cause I'm eager to learn!!!!!!

blessings to all you!

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    My favorite print frame is a frame sold by Kodak for dye transfer printing--very sturdy with anti-reflective glass.
    David -- Do you know if these are these still being made and sold by Kodak? I can't seem to find anything about them when searching on the internet. Thanks.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhanc View Post
    David -- Do you know if these are these still being made and sold by Kodak? I can't seem to find anything about them when searching on the internet. Thanks.
    No, they haven't been made for years, since the dye transfer process hasn't been supported for years, but sometimes they show up on the used market. They have two metal pins for registration, if you want to try masking techniques, and there is a matching punch.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    Does anyone have a reccomendation for a printing frame? Right now I'd be looking for an 8x10 frame, or 8.25x10.25 so there's a little play room...

How do the old ones work, like eht auction site listings? Is the glass something to worry about? Will I need anti-newton glass?

I've been doing some research into just building my own. Using my friends woodshop . What type of wood, oak, ash, cherry? I'm guessing a hardwood, and I'm leaning towards red oak or something hard, yet something that can carry a clean edge so it won't splinter....

any suggestions?
    You might find this interesting:

http://wholeplate.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    any recommendations for a proper light bulb for the exposing lamp? frosted or clear? what wattage to start? ge, phillips, other?

right now the films and papers I'll be using will be tmy-2 and acros in 4x5. Nothing yet in 8x10 , I don't have the camera yet . I'll be using ilford matte fb paper, as well as slavich single weight, and EMAKS G3.

please advise

thanks

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would try to find a 4x5 contact frame for contact printing. I have an old 4x5 frame and an 8x10 one. The 4x5 is much easier to use. There is not so much worry of your negative being printed a little sideways with a 4x5 frame. It's hard to get the alignment right with so much play. Does anyone make new 4x5 contact frames anymore, or am I stuck using my grandmothers from the 1930s (which is fine but it has a broken spring)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...but sometimes TV gets really boring at home after a while...
    Hey, this guy is going to fit in here really well.

When I was a kid I'd get bored with TV, and everyone thought I was weird. I haven't owned a TV since 1974, although I did agree a few decades ago that when high definition got here I'd give in. We may be at that point now.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Hey, this guy is going to fit in here really well.

When I was a kid I'd get bored with TV, and everyone thought I was weird. I haven't owned a TV since 1974, although I did agree a few decades ago that when high definition got here I'd give in. We may be at that point now.
    I hope that I can ...

No, I, nor my parents own an hdtv, and frankly, from what I've seen at people's houses, they seem to lag really badly, and the colors all seem too "velvia 50ish" for me. Its like "this field is a nice shade of forest green, but lets give it to em like a fuji green"!

I like some shows on the boob tube, anthony bourdain on the travel channel is very intersting, and who cannot watch Law and Order? c'mon, if you have cable, you have to watch LaO.

but Michael, in answer to fitting in, I plan on staying here for a long, long time .

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    any recommendations for a proper light bulb for the exposing lamp? frosted or clear? what wattage to start? ge, phillips, other?

right now the films and papers I'll be using will be tmy-2 and acros in 4x5. Nothing yet in 8x10 , I don't have the camera yet . I'll be using ilford matte fb paper, as well as slavich single weight, and EMAKS G3.

please advise

thanks

Dan
    Dan, as already mentioned, for the faster projection papers you are using I would start with something like a frosted 7.5 watt or 15 watt bulb. You can always play around with the height that the bulb is from the paper to achieve an exposure suitable to allow any manipulation that may be required. I would recommend a frosted bulb because it should give more even illumination then a clear bulb. If these wattage ratings are giving you too long an exposure at a convenient lamp distance then step up to 25, 40, etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ok, well the "talking to the father" has been done. I talked to my dad yesterday, and I showed him some of the threads on here going into the "being able to put chemistry down the drain" topics, which is his main concern.

so far, not a definitive answer, but I think that he might give me a chance to show him what I've been wanting to do.

keep praying that I can actually do this, cause I really want to!

trevor, thanks, I still need to get my clamp lights for my safelight and 7.5 watt bulbs.

-Dan

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin