Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,946   Online: 918

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    I'll second Phil and recommend you review the www.michaelandpaula.com site. It is a wealth of information for contact printing.!
    Some may find the Michael&Paula thing a bit more of a cult than straightforward picture making. Weston was all about simplicity.

You'll be able to make great art for years without ever getting exotic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    Some may find the Michael&Paula thing a bit more of a cult than straightforward picture making. Weston was all about simplicity.
    Must..................buy......................Lod ima!
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Large Format

You'll be able to make great art for years without ever getting exotic.
    I completely agree! Thanks df for putting it so perfectly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Weston was all about simplicity.
    You mean like silver chloride papers, amidol and a bare bulb :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, let's not forget the pyro film developers...
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When Edw went to photo school, he learned a simple way to make pictures, and he stuck with it.
    Yes, pyro, because that's what you used in 1900 and something.
    And, in time, he rejected all the fancy, pictorialist papers in favor of the cheap, dirt-common commercial paper (Convira), and caught hell for it. He was no longer a real photographer because he didn't use the right papers, that all the cool kids used.

So, yes. He cut through all the BS associated with 'How To Be An Artiste',
    walked away from a thriving portrait business in LA and went off to the back of beyond to
    take pictures of rocks. And make contact prints with a light bulb.

Today, we have no clue what that means because any one of us can go out and buy off Ebay a better camera outfit than Weston ever owned. We can use 14 kinds of Pyro developers, use densitometers to make perfect negatives of nothing in particular, and whine because we don't have the right paper to make art. And if we don't sell a shit load of pictures, we eat anyhow.

Gosh, if Edward Weston didn't run the Art Photographers' Fantasy Camp back in the '30s, he'd have probably starved and we'd have never heard of him.

Gim

Don, I just printed that and will put it in my favorite Weston book and use it for a bookmark.

Best,
    Jim

From df Cardwell: "Some may find the Michael&Paula thing a bit more of a cult than straightforward picture making. Weston was all about simplicity."

I am tired of comments like the above by people who have not a clue what they are talking about. Or they are simply envious.

I don't get it. Cult??? Sorry. It is just straightforward picture making--in fact--EXACTLY like Weston did it.

Negatives developed in ABC Pyro.
    Prints made on silver chloride paper developed in Amidol. Paper exposed with a bare bulb. Paper developed for one minute.

Same as Weston. Nothing could be more simple--nor less "technical." The emphasis always is on vision, and of course, making fine prints.

But get this straight: There is no way of making prints more simply than making silver chloride contact prints. If you, or anyone else, can tell me about an easier, less complicated, and faster way to make comparable silver prints, I will try it. And I will apologize. But if you cannot, then you should apologize. Got it?: Easier, less complicated, and faster. Needs all three.

For the doubters: Silver chloride prints need only about 20% of the dodging and burning that prints on enlarging paper need--for the same, or better, results. That is because silver chloride paper has a short toe and a short shoulder. The curve is more "straight line.". That alone make it easier, less complicated, and faster. The paper develops in one minute. Try that with enlarging paper and you will not get a deep black. Enlarging paper needs two to three minutes developing time. No enlarger or fancy equipment is ever needed. No masking is ever necessary.

In short, I cannot imagine the slightest shred of anything in my way of making photographs that is not TOTAL simplicity. Since I am not, by nature, the slightest bit technically oriented, it had to be that way for me.

What could be the motivation be for this person's ignorant comments? Envy? Or is it hatred for someone they do not know and whose prints, in all likelihood they have never seen, at least not seen in quantity.

Hey, if anyone doesn't want the paper we are having made, don't order it. But anyone who makes comments on it, without having given it a serious try, makes meaningless comments.

There are a lot of good things in this, and other forums. But there are a lot of misinformation, too. I hope most readers know how to tell the difference.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michael maybe you missed the point. In this instance the comment was directed at the acolytes as much or more than at the man who claims one paper and one process is the end all. I can't speak for DF, but I'm suspecting it is neither envy nor hatred, but possibly fatigue that so much could be put upon so little again and again.

<edit>
    In rereading it he isn't directing anything at you and placing his entire point on the virtue of a simple process. By extension he is supporting much of what you say you do.

On the flip side the fatigue thing that was all me.
    </edit>
    Last edited by jd callow; 12-01-2009 at 10:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me df's posts are about what to do when you meet the buddha on the road, not actually about Michael or Paula per se. Taking his comments personally is optional.

Lee

P.S. This post does not imply that df is a buddhist or not a buddhist. Neither does it imply that df is a murderer or advocates murder. It does imply that I'm with jd on this one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it is worth, I have seen a MAS Azo/Amidol contact print. The qualities of that print are extraordinary.

Similarly, the prints posted here in the gallery that have used Lodima/Amidol are some of the very best and I imagine the actual prints are even more beuatiful.

Perhaps it is these photographers' skills, their process' or the paper/developer they use. Perhaps it is all three -- but the one thing they have in common is contact printing on silver chloride paper developed in Amidol.

This is, of course, my subjective opinion. However, for me the empirical evidence is that this straightforward process can yield a quite beautiful photograph. At the point I contact print LF negatives, I will give this process a try.

There are also photographs made in other ways that I like equally as well. Mr Callow's cross-processed color work, for example, is striking.

Cult or not, everyone's work speaks for itself - period.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin