Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,837   Posts: 1,582,453   Online: 708

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Introduce myself

Hello all, I'm new to this thread and to contact printing having just started out with some negs from my 5X7. The film is Foma 100 and the paper is some RC 8X10. I've had results that have further wetted my apetite for doing some 8X10 stuff. What is the best paper to contact on? What about film? Albumin? If anyone could point me to other threads I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from the Democratic Republic of Northern Virginia.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Search for Lodima paper threads. There is a lot here about albumen, which is my preference right now.
    Welcome to APUG
    juan

There is a lot of information about contact printing on silver paper here:

www.michaelandpaula.com

Then click on "Azo." Several articles there. And on the Azo Forum there is more information than even I can assimilate.

The new Lodima paper is the best paper for contact printing silver prints. It has the deepest blacks and the longest tonal range, and is significantly easier to print on than contact printing on enlarging paper.

Some may think I am not being objective, since I have had the paper made and I sell it, but as someone else suggested, see all threads about Lodima paper to see what others have to say.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey Richard,

Welcome to the wonderful world of contact printing. If you want to try and get together to view some Azo prints just give me a shout. I have original Azo prints by Paula Chamlee and Ryan McIntosh I would be more than happy to share with you. Perhaps we should organize a fall C'ville photo shoot....the May shoot was lots of fun and I enjoyed meeting you, Keith and the other photographers. I could bring the Azo prints with me to show you.

John
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hey Richard, hey John! Whadya say we have another gathering once this rank weather pushes off. I wouldn't mind coming down to Richmond or going to the coast or such but we could organize another shoot over here too. I'd like to go visit the cypresses again....

Albumen: don't do it! Don't get sucked into that! Alright... I will admit I'd like to try it myself, but... it is quite an undertaking and the prints are not archival, so I think you just need to have your motives well sorted before jumping in. (this coming from the guy who plans to do egg tempera handpainting) I think Joe Harrigan in W'boro may have done some albumen.

I would like to see your azo stuff John, let's do it soon. BTW remind me of your format, was it 8x20? I am just fixing up an 11x14 and am looking for holders, if you have any tips...

Richard, I have two 5x7 contact printers that you could borrow to play with. I have been using them for cyanos and Pt/Pd; for silver you'd want something to time the lights.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Keith, I shoot mostly 8x10 & 7x17. See this posting for 11x14 holders http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=54707

I can't do a shoot any of the next 3 weekends, but after that, I should be able to participate for at least part of a weekend shoot. If we can't coorinate a shoot, I don't mind making a trip to C'ville to meet for a cup of Joe and a print viewing.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John, thanks for that tip on the holders, it looks like I scored three.

Richard and the C'ville crew have set up a first Thursday meeting- all of us get together for dinner and coffee and general chat on the first Thrusday of each month. So you come to that if you wish. But we should also set up a daytime visit. Generally I don't like passing prints around at a dinner table!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks John, Keith, and everyone else. I'm looking into the Lodima as we speak. How about a short trip to Richmond one weekend for a visit? I'd also like to look up Gene Laughter if he's up for visitors after his surgery. Keith and I could come down and shoot Byrd Park, I just picked up an 8X10 I'd like to try out. Watch out for Keith and his 11X14, he keeps bragging about his bellows extension...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    For all the technical stuff I'd recommend reading Michael Smith's old threads, both here and on the LFF. You'll get excellent answers to most technical (and aesthetic) questions from those. It seems like there are folks in your area that are into contact prints and LF, so that's an invaluable resource too. I'd especially recommend looking at some well-executed prints, such as Paula's near you, to get a good sense of what they can look like, and what you're aiming for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin