Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,507   Posts: 1,543,543   Online: 1064

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Boring as it is I always make contact sheets. I've never developed (pardon the pun !) the ability to read negatives - other than in a very sense, and I find that the contact sheets lead me to the negs worth exploring further.

The other reason I contact is to tell me if there's anything changed in the materials or in my technique. Negs that don't print well at the contact stage are usually not worth pursuing further and also highlight for me any problems in my metering for a particular situation. In many respects the contact sheet is like a control strip for the entire process.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwagoshi View Post
    But not as fun, imho.
    IMO, the lightbox and loupe with a contact sheet are like a little miniature world where you follow the storyline of the roll... Scanning and looking at it on a monitor, no thanks, personally.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    If you want to evaluate a negative, use an eye loupe. If you want to evaluate an IMAGE, you need to see it as a positive. That's what a contact sheet/proof is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    IMO, the lightbox and loupe with a contact sheet are like a little miniature world where you follow the storyline of the roll... Scanning and looking at it on a monitor, no thanks, personally.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bobherbst View Post
    If you want to evaluate a negative, use an eye loupe. If you want to evaluate an IMAGE, you need to see it as a positive. That's what a contact sheet/proof is all about.
    Well, for you (and me too, admittedly), sure that's true. But this sounds like telling large format people that they can't judge an image upside down.

Once upon a time, I recall being pretty good at judging image content (at a news/yearbook level) pretty well from a negative. So I'm inclined to believe (with envy) those who say they can read the full image by viewing the negative.

Still, I'll be making contact sheets this weekend, and probably for a very long time to come.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobherbst View Post
    Bob, yes - I agree. That's what I was pointing out about rationale behind contacts rather than judging negatives. I don't look at negatives under a loupe, I look at contacts. Occasionally I look at negatives for damage and other obvious issues - but not for evaluation of content.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shoot 5x7 or larger and the contact sheet, done well, can be your final image. Whether you use Michael A. Smiths Lodima, a normal silver printing paper or Alt Processes you have the size figured out and printing is the next natural step. Then mount, mat and you are through.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love my contacts, but they're a pain in the ass to create Lately I've been doing nothing but print contact sheets, but now I have a nice set to examine, and show my friends and relatives. The sheets quite often tell a real story... much better than showing a negative to my sister. "Looks great! (not)".

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Yeah, i felt like a contact sheet factory on Monday when I made over 50 contact sheets in a 2 hour period. I was doing 4 sheets at a time. I had been traveling a lot this fall and had a ridiculous amount of film that I am almost finished developing.

Although they are tedious and time-consuming, i often notice things on contact sheets that I miss when viewing the negative. Things also look different in positive form, so things that might not look great in negative do in positive and vise-versa. They also help me to view all the work I have done in a timely manner; I don't have to spend time trying to imagine what it will look like as a positive.

Shooter
    35mm
    50 contact sheets in 2 hours is good going! That's like mass production.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    yeah, the only problem was I had to dry them in shifts, I only have enough space for about 30 prints

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin