Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,482,057   Online: 774

View Poll Results: Do you make proof prints from rollfilm negatives

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, almost always (contact prints)

51 66.23%
  • Yes, almost always (enlarged with 8x10 enlarger)

2 2.60%
  • No, almost never

14 18.18%
  • It depends; some of each of the above

10 12.99%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I used to do contact sheet for everything, but now I only do them for medium format. I can get a good idea of what's on a 6x6 negative from the contact sheet, but it's more difficult with the tiny 35mm negs.
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I make a print for every roll. I'll squeeze it into the front of a printing seesion and, more oft than not, it's my first glimpse at my work. I love it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No proofs ever! All negatives, blanks aside, are taken through to the best gelatin-silver photograph I can produce. That is the bargain I made with myself when I executed the original film exposure.

Nothing hits the cutting room floor. The work is the work is the work.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I like to look at the negatives through a loop and I make a quick print of those that interest me.....the print is always an RC print at the minimum time for maximum black through clear film with the enlarger always at the same height for 5x7. Since the purpose is to make a quick positive only, I don't bother with any other printing controls--this works very well when one is very familiar with your materials and processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I contact proof my films. I particularly find it useful when revisiting old work in case I've missed something. This does happen, one of those 'slow burners' that reveals itself over time. Often the quite unassuming image that you wonder why you initially took it. Then looking at a contact sheet, it dawns on you why you did take it

However I don't 'proof' my 8x10 negatives, those that are selected go straight to the finished contact print.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It is required in Photo 1, 2 and the advanced classes at U Akron. In the advanced classes half the class is critiqued every two weeks, ten 11x14 prints or larger on the wall and proof sheets on the professor's desk. My 7x17s all go on the wall, but if I were shooting roll film, proof sheets would be required.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I contact all of my film. Mainly for filing purposes, but occassionally I will pull a handful or two of filing sheets and browse the proof sheets, to see if anything catches my eye that I had previously dismissed.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot too much film to have time to contact proof them all. But I'm getting better at it.

To me it's a great interpretive tool. It really tells me how I'm doing with my exposures and film processing. To make it truly worthwhile, the proofing should be done on the same paper you print, but I can't afford an 11x14 sheet of Ilford MGWT for every roll of film I shoot.
    All contact sheets are minimum exposure for getting black through the film edge. This is another situation where using the same film over and over again really helps. I have the enlarger head height recorded, the bulb power, lens aperture, and exposure time noted for my cheapo Arista RC paper I use for this purpose. So that every time I make a contact sheet, the exposure time is exactly the same.

I find it useful, and wish I had done it on all my rolls to date, just to learn to understand film processing and its variables faster than I did.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you really selective when you shoot? I'm curious, as this approach would necessitate that I would shoot much less than I am doing.
    However, every film frame I ever exposed were borne out of an idea, and as it stands now many of those ideas will never become printed and seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    No proofs ever! All negatives, blanks aside, are taken through to the best gelatin-silver photograph I can produce. That is the bargain I made with myself when I executed the original film exposure.

Nothing hits the cutting room floor. The work is the work is the work.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always do contact proof sheets for 120 and 35mm.

Jeff

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin