Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,034   Online: 1102

View Poll Results: Do you make proof prints from rollfilm negatives

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, almost always (contact prints)

51 66.23%
  • Yes, almost always (enlarged with 8x10 enlarger)

2 2.60%
  • No, almost never

14 18.18%
  • It depends; some of each of the above

10 12.99%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Proof Print Poll

Poll for proof prints

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i make a contact sheet for every roll of film. this is more for keeping track of images then anything else.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I find it terribly boring, especially if you do "proper" contact prints, but also find it very useful. I always do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    contact sheet for every roll, unless I know its destined for the bin in the next week or two. or I know I'll never print it, but want to keep the negs but no proofsheet.

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i did for maybe 9 years
    then i ran out of $$ and used
    the paper for printing.
    i got used to just looking
    at the negative ...
    i've been thinking of doing it again though ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I only make contact prints from my 120 film. =) The right images really have a presence trimmed and mounted on good board.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm actually revisiting contact proof sheets. For a long time I didn't do them, recently I started doing them again. I'm finding that it is nice to have a positive to look at. As far as the negs I print I always inspect them closely with a loupe, checking for focus and any defects that might ruin the image.

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Late in the game, I have found out that doing contact sheets makes sense for me. I find that I am more productive and I get a better sense of how and why the exposures look like they do.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use contact proofs for cataloguing purpose only. I prefer to read my negs.

Rick
    Last edited by Rick A; 11-04-2009 at 06:57 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Never could read my negs - and still can't after all these years. My contacts are all done Grade 2, minimum exposure / maximum black and help me keep an eye on my entire process. I use a channel on my analyzer to meter between the frames and the enlarger set exactly the same each time - same lens, same aperture, same height and same lens extension. If there's a variation in the reading it gives me a heads up that something's changed. First thing I check on tee proof is the frame numbers and writing - the writing should be very clear and the clear film shouldn't be distinguishable from the black surround. If not there's something wrong with the process. Then the photos. Those negs that that are incorrectly exposed are really obvious and indicate a metering error. I can then work out what it was I did wrong. It works for me as a control over the entire process - in addition to seeing if there are frames worth pursuing.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin