Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,267   Posts: 1,534,349   Online: 805

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Well, well, well. Could this be one of those well kept secrets?

Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    Could be. As Stefano stated it could fill a niche at a price that works and as a silver chloride paper as it is touted to be, who cares if it is RC? During these challenging economic times I would rather have more options relative to price and product than fewer. I want to maintain an open and objective mind and see what happens. Like I say the box of 11x14 cost me a whopping $24.

I will add my comments after I take it for a test ride.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    When it first came out, there was a brief discussion on APUG, in which one or two people suggested that it may be a sort of "incidental market" product---Foma may be making this paper for some reason unrelated to art photography, and finding that it has a convenient little extra market. This thought would be interesting to pursue---if it's right, I guess the stability of that real target market, whatever it is, determines the viability of the paper.

I would assume no one will take it as a serious replacement for Azo or Lodima, but as an inexpensive paper that works well for contact printing and whose results don't suck, it's perfect for my needs. If I ever get good enough to justify the price of Lodima, I'll be so delighted with myself that the expense won't matter, but in the meantime... :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    That would make sense. I've seen posts about it since 2005, so I assume that's about when it came out. And no manufacturer it's going to keep the product going for that long with no sales. And according to the folks here nobody seems to use it, since nobody is ever in a position to talk about it. The conspiracy theorist in me just thought that was odd. I thought maybe a 777 developer kind of thing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had heard, possibly on this forum, that there is a South American market for this paper that keeps it in production. Either South American or Mexican.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I agree with ntenny, it's an incidential market, but it's a good thing, this paper isn't the replacement of Azo or Lodima, all my fine art works is printed on Azo and in the future on Lodima, but I love having this choise for my proof and for some commercial works, I would also be happy if I could find on the market other silver-chloride papers as good as Lodima is.
    I would like to have fomalux in other format maybe 16x20 to cut in 8x20 to proof this big negatives and in two grade 2 and 3.
    Why Ilford or Adox don't get special run of this kind of paper?only to have more choise, Fuji have a one in RC(gaslight) that I think is quite similar to Foma. I think that niche market will save the market specially for BW....
    And I don't keep secret.....
    Michael Lodima is made in 11x14....

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

I have an order of 11x14 Lodima in both grades coming shortly.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    I have an order of 11x14 Lodima in both grades coming shortly.
    I read to Michael & Paula site the last news.... my hands start to move....

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    Why Ilford or Adox don't get special run of this kind of paper?only to have more choise, Fuji have a one in RC(gaslight) that I think is quite similar to Foma. I think that niche market will save the market specially for BW....

Stefano
    I think the niche market is too small for a full run of a new contact paper without pre-selling as Michael and Paula has done. For them it was a huge investment.

If the ever so small market is diluted with yet another fibre contact paper, it would be so small as to make the investment unworthy.

Enlarging papers are a much much bigger market, and even that market is so much smaller than it was a few years ago, hence we are seeing fewer and fewer paper surface choices, as the paper mills won't make a surface without a certain minimum order from the photo industry.

The Foma RC contact paper is kept in production specifically because of a South American demand. It would not be around just for the niche art market.

What might be more practical would be to engineer an enlarging speed b/w paper that has the characteristic curve of the old contact papers. This could serve a larger market. As one can easily use Enlarging speed paper for contact printing with a reduced light source.

Even Lodima is not a guaranteed long-term available paper. They made one large run..one emulsion run for each grade. If this doesn't sell completely outwithin a timeframe consistent with good results, then I doubt there will be another run. Most photographers who are serious about contact printing on Lodima have purchased a lot of paper to store for their needs. They will not immediately need more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    The Foma RC contact paper is kept in production specifically because of a South American demand. It would not be around just for the niche art market.
    Do we know what that demand is? I've seen some speculation, but nothing concrete. I think "printing aerial film" was one suggestion, but I don't see why that would be special to South America (or Mexico, whichever it was)...

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin