Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,069   Online: 1109

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Do we know what that demand is? I've seen some speculation, but nothing concrete. I think "printing aerial film" was one suggestion, but I don't see why that would be special to South America (or Mexico, whichever it was)...

-NT
    It really does not matter what he "demand" is. Besides we have no access to any of these variables because it is a proprietary product. Trying to take a guess and extrapolate this to a conclusion is no better than wild ass conjecture.

What we do know is that this paper is available now and that is the only thing that matters. We also know that when sufficient incremental sales are made as people become more familiar with it the sales data will make it back to Foma and the numbers will speak for themselves. Nothing speaks more powerfully than sales revenues for the manufacturer and the distributor so I try to make consistent purchases for analog products as often as possible.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Michael Kadillak is right, we have no access to information that would in truth be useless to us anyway. The fact is that this paper is primarily still in production for one market, consider it one client, so to speak, and all sales to art printers and hobby photographers is just icing on the cake to the manufacturer. If the "main" client evaporates, so will this paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PHOTOTONE View Post
    If the "main" client evaporates, so will this paper.
    Yeah, this is kind of why I'd like to know what the "main client" is. Is it something pretty stable, so we don't need to worry overmuch about the paper abruptly going away without warning? Or should those of us who are enjoying the paper be laying in a lifetime's stock now while we can?

I'm not even sure we know that there *is* such a "main client"---all I recall hearing is speculation, and it's now taking on the tone of gospel. Does anyone *know* that there's actually some other market keeping this paper in production, or are we just echoing one another's guesses?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm just going to buy it and use it and not worry too much about it. Here and now!

Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Yeah, this is kind of why I'd like to know what the "main client" is. Is it something pretty stable, so we don't need to worry overmuch about the paper abruptly going away without warning? Or should those of us who are enjoying the paper be laying in a lifetime's stock now while we can?

I'm not even sure we know that there *is* such a "main client"---all I recall hearing is speculation, and it's now taking on the tone of gospel. Does anyone *know* that there's actually some other market keeping this paper in production, or are we just echoing one another's guesses?

-NT
    In this market we are currently in all I can tell you is this.

There are NO guarantees of anything currently being manufactured being around next week let alone next year. As a result if you know what materials sing for you in your photography my advice is stop looking for meaningless information that you feel a need to process and start buying as much of your materials as you can possible afford. Shortly thereafter look for a clearance sale and purchase a chest freezer and buy twice as much.

Wake up and small the roses guys and gals. Bitching about the train leaving the station is only pertinent if you are not on the train. Nothing against those among us that have enormous amounts of patience but I do not want to coat plates or paper. As a result, I am hedging prudently against the natural uncertainty within an uncertain market. My photographic risk management model. If things turn out better than I anticipate my hedge is still valid against future price increases and I get consistent materials to work with. I don't see any downside anywhere.

Silver chloride papers are the longest lasting photographic papers manufactured. I have printed on Azo made in the 1940's and 50's that produced marvelous images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After following this thread I ordered some to try so here is my take. It seems to be fairly fast, more like Lodima than Azo. My densest neg required 32 seconds from a 60 watt soft white at 4 feet. I had a very thin one that took 3/4 second so I switched to 40 watts. Comes up a little slower than Lodima in the Ansco 130. The dry down is significant. The matte surface is very fine. It bleaches and tones readily. There is a slight curl to the dry prints. Bottom line in my book, great for proofing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    [I"]....great for proofing."[/I]

I don't understand. Why it is "great for proofing" but, not for (i am assuming) ordinary prints

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's RC and I'm a traditionalist.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    It's RC and I'm a traditionalist.
    That's cool. Thanks....and please keep buying this paper too! ( i want it to stay around! ).

I've deceided that I'm going to start contact printing my 4x5's too....and make "snap shots" for the family album...and post cards...and, and., and... !

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm using this paper also, on 5x7. Fifteen watt bulb about 3-4 feet above the printing frame. Exposure times usually about 45 sec. to 1 1/2 minutes. To control contrast I let print stand (no agitation) in developer after image emerges. I'm new at this having only printed previously on Centennial POP, which disappeared after my first order. I hope this stuff sticks around.

Ralph

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin