Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,070   Online: 1043

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    It's RC and I'm a traditionalist.
    In case you have not been aware of the significant loss of photographic paper backing along with the acquisition of Bergger and Kentmere by Ilford and retirement of these coating facilities from the market to purposefully preserve the smaller market share, the realities of your term "traditionalist" is likely to be tested in a potentially serious way.

My feeling is that any and all analog materials should be investigated irrespective of any previous industry paradigms because the current market and the forward market for conventional materials is going to be evolving and contracting as a function of time. If we want to maintain these and many other analog products in the future we need to be much more open minded and regularly grease the wheels of commerce for ALL available photographic paper and films.

Hoping to test my 11x14 Foma 312 paper in the next couple of days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't worry, Michael, I will be ordering more of it and see it as a good front end to my Azo/Lodima processing. It's a nice paper and if I didn't have Azo and Lodima, I could certainly be content with it.

Quote Originally Posted by outwest View Post
    Don't worry, Michael, I will be ordering more of it and see it as a good front end to my Azo/Lodima processing. It's a nice paper and if I didn't have Azo and Lodima, I could certainly be content with it.
    Cool beans.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    along with the acquisition of Bergger and Kentmere by Ilford and retirement of these coating facilities from the market to purposefully preserve the smaller market share,
    This is absolutely new info to me in regards Bergger. What I understood was Bergger (a marketing organization) had Forte as its contract manufacturer for papers and films, and of course Forte went out-of-business. Bergger then approached Ilford to provide "some" product to be marketed under the Bergger name. I am not aware of any "ownership" of Bergger by Ilford.

Finally had a chance to print with this paper. My first observations were that it is a faster paper requiring less illumination to properly expose it. With grade 2 Azo one of the negatives I was testing it with the Foma paper required a 12 second exposure from a 300 watt R40 globe about three and 1/2 feet above my printing frame. This same test negative on the Foma 312 paper I used a 65 watt globe for 6 seconds. The matt finish is a new experience to me but I have no problems with the fact that it is a RC paper. It is a bit more rigid but so what?

Any differences in apparent sharpness IMHO are related to the different surface finishes. The glossy on Azo holds an Ace in its hand in this regard relative to the matt finish of the Foma. That said the matt finish is "different" in an interesting way. I printed my tests with Neutol WA and did not mix amidol but I will next time. I will print a step tablet on it and see what a net density range this paper exhibits. Appears to be quite long to the eye.

The positives. It is relatively inexpensive. If this can translate to more prints being made in a tough economy that is great. It is offered in 11x14 which is great for 11x14 shooters like me. It washes in a flash and dries almost as quickly, and it looks very good. Contact papers are scarce as hens teeth these days so having a viable alternative is like a Christmas present. I am confident that with some time allocated to working with it the results could only get better.

The negatives. The only negative I see is the matt finish. While some alternative process have a matt finish look to their prints that works well I have become accustomed to the glossy finish which may be simply because that is what Azo has been finished with over the last years of its existence. The gloss on the Azo/Lodima print seems to reflect viewing light exceptionally well. The only other negative is that it only comes in a grade 2.

In a perfect world Foma would produce this paper with a glossy finish and a grade 3. Unfortunately, we do not live in a perfect world. Thats OK. It is a good product at a great price. Try some for yourself.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the report Michael. On to Freestyle to order some.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    Thanks for the report Michael. On to Freestyle to order some.
    Thanks.
    I will order some additional product as well.

When you get a chance to print with it respond with your comments for the benefit of future participants of this forum.

Long live analog!

Cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Michael and et al.,

Thank you for the reviews, I purchased a box of 312 simply based on the advert at Freestyle saying it was silver chloride and contact speed. I was very surprised to see it and bounced btwn Lodima and freestyle trying to figure if I was reading correctly! Didnt really like the matte only option but as stated earlier beggars cant be choosers! Besides, I didnt get in on the Lodima paper order and this paper may be my only option for contact prints prior to my dive into salt/albumen prints.

Looking forward to seeing how this stuff does!
    Erick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 77seriesiii View Post
    Michael and et al.,

Thank you for the reviews, I purchased a box of 312 simply based on the advert at Freestyle saying it was silver chloride and contact speed. I was very surprised to see it and bounced btwn Lodima and freestyle trying to figure if I was reading correctly! Didnt really like the matte only option but as stated earlier beggars cant be choosers! Besides, I didnt get in on the Lodima paper order and this paper may be my only option for contact prints prior to my dive into salt/albumen prints.

Looking forward to seeing how this stuff does!
    Erick
    You mean your only option for contact prints on CONTACT PAPER, as you can certainly make contact prints on enlarging paper of all kinds using the light from your enlarger as a light source, and even using the filtration for contrast control, if you use a Multigrade type paper. You CAN make good prints on enlarging paper.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin