Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,254   Online: 1127

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format

Foma Fomalux 312 paper

I set up the dark room yesterday (for the first time in about 1-1/2 years!). I took the day off and printed probably 25 finished prints. Mostly projection printed onto Ilford MGIV but...

at the end of the session , I contacted an 8x10 onto Fomalux 312. I really like this paper. I know the buzz is all about lodima lately but this is a really nice, affordable paper for contact printing. I'll definitely be buying more soon!

Git 'yer self some!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using this paper also, and while I don't have the most sophisticated eye for print quality (I'm really a neophyte at this stuff), I'm quite happy with the results, especially at the price. The tone is nice and neutral, the blacks seem decent to my eye, &c.; plus, as far as I know, it's the only contact-speed paper available that isn't priced like a spiffy fine-art paper, so I'm surprised there aren't more of us using it.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Large Format
    Would you describe what you think are it's good qualities, what's better/worse than the Ilford, which MGIV where you using for your other prints?

It will be a fairly quick process to determine if it worth the effort. I ordered a short box to give it a go. I have printed with 1950's Azo through the current Lodima and all parts in between. The fact that it is claimed to be a legitimate silver chloride paper is intriguing which is consistent with the longer exposure times. The concern is the top coating and the print surface. For the small cost of admission I figure there is no downside to check it out for myself. My Lodima order is not going to be here until maybe early 2010.

Cheers!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do realize that it's RC paper. Nonetheless, I tried a box of 5x7 for the heck of it earlier this year. Unlike Azo and the Lodima test run, both of which are the sharpest papers made, Fomalux is fuzzier than many multi-contrast enlarging papers. My observations are all based on contacting with plenty of pressure from the print frame. Therefore, there's no possibility that Ctein's enlarging-lens-LCA phenomenon entered into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Do realize that it's RC paper. Nonetheless, I tried a box of 5x7 for the heck of it earlier this year. Unlike Azo and the Lodima test run, both of which are the sharpest papers made, Fomalux is fuzzier than many multi-contrast enlarging papers. My observations are all based on contacting with plenty of pressure from the print frame. Therefore, there's no possibility that Ctein's enlarging-lens-LCA phenomenon entered into it.
    Saw a couple of very sharp images on the web produced with this paper so I figured I would jack up the pressure on the vacuum frame and see what happens. Worse case I can use it as proof paper.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by squinonescolon View Post
    Would you describe what you think are it's good qualities, what's better/worse than the Ilford, which MGIV where you using for your other prints?

Here is what i like about it:
    1) it is reasonably priced and readily available.
    2) it works! - even with plain old Dektol!
    3) it is a real silver chloride paper - which makes it well suited to contact printing.
    4) Even with my meager skills and simple process, I was able to produce decent prints easily.
    5) I like the surface finish.
    6) it is an RC paper - not FB. I loath working with fiber based paper.

As I get older I have less and less time and energy to devote to printmaking. I therefore rely heavily upon simple, robust processes and materials. I just don't have time or energy to fiddle around with esoteric, expensive or finicky materials that demand lots of effort or expertise to use.

This paper seems to fit my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Here is what i like about it:
    1) it is reasonably priced and readily available.
    2) it works! - even with plain old Dektol!
    3) it is a real silver chloride paper - which makes it well suited to contact printing.
    4) Even with my meager skills and simple process, I was able to produce decent prints easily.
    5) I like the surface finish.
    6) it is an RC paper - not FB. I loath working with fiber based paper.

As I get older I have less and less time and energy to devote to printmaking. I therefore rely heavily upon simple, robust processes and materials. I just don't have time or energy to fiddle around with esoteric, expensive or finicky materials that demand lots of effort or expertise to use.

This paper seems to fit my needs.
    I agree with you on all points accept the last one regarding fibre based paper. An aspiring photographer simply cannot loath materials that could be his bread and butter at some point in the future. Stick the prints in the wash and keep working.

I expect to get my paper to try later this week. Cheers!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I 'm used to printing all my proofs with this paper, to save my batchs of Azo and Lodima, it works well also in amidol.
    But sometimes, I did some final prints on it to commercial works with good result.

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Quote Originally Posted by photo8x10 View Post
    I 'm used to printing all my proofs with this paper, to save my batchs of Azo and Lodima, it works well also in amidol.
    But sometimes, I did some final prints on it to commercial works with good result.

Stefano
    Fabulous! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Being able to proof 11x14 negatives on paper cut to size is why I decided to give it a go. Cutting down 20x24 to 11x14 can be done, but it is rather a PITA. It will be nice to get the Lodima in 11x14.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin