Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,748   Online: 962

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I suppose you've seen this article, I don't know if it gives you any further ideas: http://www.alternativephotography.co...es/art017.html
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jerevan,

Yes, I saw that article and it certainly shows that there's no need to fork out huge sums of money to get a workable solution. But, and it's a big "but", I really want to make something that will outlast most of us! Something that you can look at and think "that's a lovely piece of work, functional and beautifully built".

I hope that I can achieve that - it's what I will be aiming for!
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well, I figured that you weren't in for the easy way out, eh?

Keep us updated on any progress.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'm sitting here as I type with an engineering buddy of mine discussing the relative merits of using stainless steel as a leaf spring mechanism, and the design of knurled brass knobs
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, I think I now have enough expressions of interest to set about working out costings for 11x14" models. I've pretty much settled on a design, so once I have those costings I'll let you all know, it'll be entirely up to you if you want one or not... I certainly wont attempt to pressurise anyone into purchasing one (not that one could with you lot ).

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

A real contribution to the market would be frames that precisely fit glass plate negatives of various formats, especially 4x5. The plate is the glass in the frame. The modern size fashion has frames larger than negative formats. I like paper surround, too, when printing film negatives, but that doesn't work printing glass plates. I've managed to scourge a pretty good collection of old plate contact printing frames, and the technique that Jerevan linked to is a good one, but being able to buy well-made, new frames to fit the common sizes, plus Whole Plate and Half Plate would be great.

Also, I wholeheartedly second the motion for a frame style that doesn't punish arthritis.
    d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Denise,

Someone else who I haven't spoken to since the early days of Creative Image Maker! Trust you keeping well too.

The arthritis thing, although not currently relevant to me, is important to me. Why struggle with something, when proper design can help! So, I've got a couple of designs in my head to help alleviate the issue of tensioning the rear panels.

Funnily enough, I will be starting with glass plates in the new year so it's interesting to see you write about the sizes needed. If I understand you correctly, you do not need a glass front fitted to the frame, as that will be accomplished by the actual plate itself.

Not having a 4x5, is the glass size actually 4" x 5", or is slightly different?

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

Absolutely well. How can life be anything else when you are a photographer? (At least, never bored! There's always a new process or project to be tackled.)

Yes, the frames come without glass because the negative plate is the glass. You set it in the frame with printing paper cut to the same size and clamp on the frame back.

A couple of years ago I bought my first 4x5 contact printing frame off ebay and I've done run all my own plates and a few antique ones through it since. I just measured it. The backside opening is 103mm x 128mm. There is ~4mm lip around the front side to hold the glass in, and also mask the unexposed edges of the plate. This leaves the printed image 95mm x 120mm.

Good luck and fun with your latest projects .
    d

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That's a great idea for the frames, Denise! Eventually, I'll get around to glass plates, too... Just have to master lith printing and normal silver printing first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    That's a great idea for the frames, Denise! Eventually, I'll get around to glass plates, too... Just have to master lith printing and normal silver printing first.
    So much to do! So little time!! Is it pain or joy?

David, one other idea I've had that's made me think about taking up woodworking (Nnnooooooooo!!) : If you could make a frame with a clever, extra-wide surround (keeping the 95mm x 120mm front opening, you could use a plate for the glass, yet still get an unprinted paper border wider than 4mm.

d

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin