Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,882   Online: 833

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I would be interested in a 5x7 version. (See my recent wanted ad in the classified section.)
    It's looking like my 'pre-production' one is going to be 5x7 as I have an insert on my FKD that reduces the 18x24cm back to 13x18cm. If you need one right now, then (to be honest) it'll be quicker to purchase an existing one if offered.

However, if you don't mind waiting whilst I build up this first one, then I could definitely help you out!

I will be posting images of the build on this first one, just to show how it all goes together - stay tuned and add comments!

Thank you,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    The normal arrangement that John is describing has the leaf springs attached to the back in the center of the spring usually with a rivet that has large flat heads, and it is free to swivel.
    My three frames differ from this only in that the rivet is replaced by a swiveling tensioning device such as the above mentioned machine screw and bolt and lock nut. These allow adjustment in spring tension as the parts wear from use.

John

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    Here's a quick drawing of the cross-section that I hope will make it clearer...

Cheers,
    David.
    David,

If that is a quick drawing, I look forward to the detailed ones. Beautiful!

I use a cold light Durst 138S enlarger as my light source. For those who will light from above that means this design with be working upside down from how it is shown. Will the four knobs then become the feet? I ask because if so, after the 600-700 uses I have done, I would think the knobs would begin to tear up the enlarger table. Can you soften the top of the knobs with glued felt or would you expect the user to put a replacable pad of some sort on the table?

I hope you see these questions as helping with the design rather than nay saying criticism.

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi John,

Thanks for the comments - my drawing is indeed upside-down

The brass knobs will indeed become the feet, and although I don't want to glue some felt on to them, there's no reason why they couldn't be supplied with some little protective felt pads. The thought of putting on pieces of felt after I've polished the ends to a lovely satin finish is more than I can bear

Taking on board what Denise said, if you notice the way that the wood is shaped, you have the clear glass (then your negative and POP), but - and here's the clever bit - if the glass is made to be the same size as the negatives then you can replace the glass with a glass plate for printing! Two for the price of one

David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    The thought of putting on pieces of felt after I've polished the ends to a lovely satin finish is more than I can bear .
    David,

Do you know Sarah? My first wife asked on occasion, some 30 years ago, if it had been my lot in life to torture her. I would respond, but of course my dear. Do you require another serving?

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David,

I would be very interested in an 11x14 version with inserts. Great idea!

cheers
    Pete

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David,

I'm already really looking forward to printing with one of your frames. I'm one of those who feel that the paper can be (dare I hint 'should' be?) as much a part of a great print as the image. Allowing a glass plate to be printed with more than a thin strip of surrounding paper will be a big boon to plate printers, especially we who print on handcrafted paper. On a purely practical level, it will make fitting the paper a lot less of a nit-picky task. Good luck with all the details and decisions on your way to market.
    d

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been able to spend a couple of hours over the weekend to start work on the making the first [prototype] frame. This first frame is for 13x18cm plate glass, but can be fitted with 2mm float glass and film/paper negatives used instead. The paper used for POP can be up to 20.8 x 15.5cm - no particular reason, that's just how it ended up based on the wood I had available!

Here's a couple of images of the build so far...

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to see you are hard at work on my custom 5x7 frame!

Looking good so far.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Okay, I want one of these! It's looking great, David. And yes, I am doing 13x18 so that will be perfect, thank you!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin