Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,076   Online: 1011

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    The conversation here made me realize I should probably put together a short piece about contact printing glass plates. I'm genuinely excited about David's proposed frames. I'm always uncomfortable encouraging people to try something that will require a lot of luck on ebay to get into, but little by little, we all seem to be coming together to reinvent handcrafted photography for the 21st century. Very cool.

http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Over...CT_GLASS_PLATE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Denise,

Interesting point that you make - and it's something that I'm beginning to notice too; people are coming together to bring back the traditional methods, perhaps in a stance against the modern world? Either way, I believe there's a resurgence and it was one of the reasons why I had started Creative Image Maker.

A short piece about contact printing glass plates would be great to read!

As for this printing frame, I'm thinking about putting a leather handle on the side, held in with matching brass knobs - that way you can carry it around, or hang it up when not in use. The brass is done already and the leather is sitting on my dining room table waiting for me to cut it! Pictures to follow...

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

The link above (http://www.thelightfarm.com/Map/Over...CT_GLASS_PLATE) is about as short a piece as I'm capable of writing but hopefully long enough to do the job. It's hard to know how much to write in a word-saturated world.
    d

p.s. A handle is a very clever idea. Make it compact. Some UV printing boxes are already space-challenged for their intended printing frame size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    ... little by little, we all seem to be coming together to reinvent handcrafted photography for the 21st century.
    This is exactly what I came to realize in the past couple of years, too. When I first started getting back into photography after a long absense (you know, raising kids, ya-da, ya-da, ya-da) I would occassionally pop into Wal-mart and pick up a couple of rolls of film. Most of them had Plus-X and Tri-X 135 hanging on the peg. Then it stopped being there.

I never found roll film at Wal-mart, but used to pop in Ritz Camera to pick up a few rolls. Then Ritz Camera, the only *CAMERA* store around, wasn't even carrying roll film on the shelf one day.

I was shocked!

Since then I've started looking at everything from silver recover to hand coating paper, with coating plates further into the future for me.

This suits my wife fine, since she's interested in the craft aspect.

I haven't gotten too far into it, because I can still find commercial products for my hobby, but I realize the day is coming when I'll have to make it myself.

I fully expect that if we're still doing this in 25 more years we'll be making at least 50% of our own materials.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not able to progress the printing frame much this week, but I have just been out to the workshop to make the handle for it. The leather handle is held in place with two knurled brass knobs, in a similar style to the main ones on the back (only slightly smaller).

Note: this isn't finished, I'm hoping to clean them up properly on Monday.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Latest Update...

I've been able to spend an hour or so out in the workshop and have now made the back plates, and attached the stainless steel leaf springs. I've also cut the glass for the front, and it can be removed and a 5x7 glass negative put it it's place instead. Here's the latest picture...

Still to do... fit the hinges between the back plates, glue on the felt and then polish / finish everything off.

Cheers,
    David.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Here it is...

I've recessed the hinges and screwed them on, and glued on the black felt; here's a couple of snaps of the finished product (with the exception of polishing the brass knobs that hold the handle on)...

It's been great fun making this up, from turning the brass rod to make the various knobs, to cutting the glass and jointing / shaping the wood. Now I need to start on the next one...

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good job.

Does it work?

How much would you charge for the prototype or a reproduction?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Looks perfect. Have you tried it yet?

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Looks great! When does the big production line start?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin