Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,718   Online: 845

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Could you scan the negatives? That's what I do when I want a better look at what I'm working with. I have an Epson 4490 that allows for the scanning of selected negatives and not the whole roll. Then I'll look it over on the monitor to decide if it is something I want to work with in the darkroom. Printing super-size proofs should be no problem once the image is in your computer.

Raul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's easy to make enlarged proof sheets of any size if you use a neg carrier designed to hold multiple strips. One example that I have used for many years is a Saunders 18 frame sliding carrier. Mine is used in a Omega 4x5 enlarger with a cold light head. The carrier holds six short film strips that are made up of three frames each or it will hold 3 long strips that are made up of six frames each. You can just use one strip of anywhere from one frame up to six frames if you want. You would have to mask off the rest of the carrier in a situation like that. The Saunders carrier is all aluminum and hinged. It has an acrylic type base plate that is designed to fit a particular enlarger design. This carrier can print a gang of 3 strips at once (Nine 35 mm frames) with a 4x5 enlarger. Then you just slide the carrier to either side to print the other 3 strips (nine frames). I used this carrier for years in my commercial lab. It is very well made and if you want to do enlarged 35mm proofs with a 4x5 enlarger you can't be this carrier. It is fast and easy to use. All frames and strips perfectly align with no fuss which results in completely professional enlarged 35mm proofs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anybody know of a lab, preferably in Canada, that will make super proofs? And is it possible for them to correct for the density of a few frames here and there?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    You can make a proofing enlarger pretty easily, or buy one from an outfit like Glenview:
    http://www.glennview.com/810.htm
    scrolling down page... sweet jebus its huge!

11X14 DEVERE CONDENSERS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like John R says a few posts above. I have sparingly used carrier that lets me print 3 rows of 6 frames of 35mm ( 3 rows of 3 frames at a time) in a 4x5 enlarger. It is of limited use to me, as I store my 35mm negs in rows of 5, 7 rows to a page in plastic 'print file' pages. It is handy for the occasional arty print. One of my upcoming postcard exchage images, of a bunch of head shots printed on the same page was done with this carrier.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Contact prints are the same size as the negative you use. Want bigger ones, shoot with a bigger camera.

Enlarged projection proofs are not contact prints. They are enlarged by projecting negatives on the paper. A glass 4x5 negative holder will do 9 frames(35mm film) on 8x10 paper just fine. Each about the size of a wallet print.

In digital files there is no such thing as a contact print no matter how much the pixelographers try to tell you it is.

Shooter
    Large Format
    PhotoTechnica here in Sydney used to offer "roll proofs". A long piece of paper with images about 3"x4" on it. They went bust. Maybe Vision Image Lab (now in Redfern) do it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm mostly a medium format and large format guy.
    But every once in a while my Nikon comes into play and I want proofs that are big enough to actually see.
    Back in 1990 I made a carrier for my 4x5 Beseler to enlarge 3 strip of 3 negatives onto a sheet of 8x10 paper.

I resurrected the idea, and put the Mark II version in the classified section.
    Take a look...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...of-system.html

Reinhold
    www.Re-inventedPhotoEquip.com
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Multi 35 System3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that is the coolest !
    and your viewing things are beautiful enough to use as a frame

john

ps. great website with your reinvented "stuff"

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    I'm mostly a medium format and large format guy.
    But every once in a while my Nikon comes into play and I want proofs that are big enough to actually see.
    Back in 1990 I made a carrier for my 4x5 Beseler to enlarge 3 strip of 3 negatives onto a sheet of 8x10 paper.

I resurrected the idea, and put the Mark II version in the classified section.
    Take a look...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...of-system.html

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've figured out how to make the Multi 35 carrier fit Beseler and Omega D series enlargers.
    All it takes is relocating a few screws...
    Take a look:
    http://re-inventedphotoequip.com/Sit...20Details.html

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin